Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   FreeForAll (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Ok (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=10228)

shrox 11-13-2011 07:37 PM

Ok

If I can get my shatner together, I'd like to get back into rocketry.

A Fish Named Wallyum 11-13-2011 07:41 PM

:cool: We've been waiting.

CPMcGraw 11-13-2011 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrox

Sometimes you have to just "get the junk out" of your system when it comes to designs, Shrox. It's like writer's block. You have to write out nine pages of crap just to get one page of worthwhile reading.

Come do some "throwdowns" in the BARCLONE area. That's where we just start tossing parts together in RockSim and hope something flyable happens. Occasionally, one of those chimps in our heads actually comes up with an opus.

We need some new designs, to give the rest of us some inspiration...

Me, especially!

chrism 11-13-2011 08:32 PM

Quote:

Cool!!

Dannycolossus 11-13-2011 08:40 PM

get bac-now- I bought rocsim and sant some new designs to check out/build.

all threats/jests aside, nice to hear you're getting back in.

Daddyisabar 11-14-2011 10:44 AM

Welcome Back Kotter.

Well, at least the Yanks over 40 will get it.

Ltvscout 11-14-2011 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyisabar
Welcome Back Kotter.

Well, at least the Yanks over 40 will get it.

Up your nose with a rubber hose!

Daddyisabar 11-14-2011 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Up your nose with a rubber hose!

Golly gee, we have enough trouble with the Monty Python crowd, we don't need any Sweathog hijackers adding to problem. Did I ever tell you the one about my Uncle Lester, where he got thrown off the forum for typing all his posts to sound like Ahh-nol'd HOR-shaaak.

raohara 11-14-2011 11:15 AM

?????

I'll admit ignorance. Who is shrox?

- Rich

ghrocketman 11-14-2011 11:30 AM

Welcome Back, Shrox !

Daddyisabar 11-14-2011 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raohara

- Rich

Shrox, his arm covered in the purest shimmering samite, held a loft FireFox from the bosom of Rocsim, signifying by divine providence that I, Daddyisabar, was to carry a stable airplane rocket to pad. That is why I am a BAR and am not digging in the muck, even though I do spy some lovely filth just outside my window.

Search out his name on the forums and you too shall see the light. Blessed are those who eat the white pasty glue.

shrox 11-14-2011 01:13 PM

Quote:

- Rich

I am the uncontested Master of the Dark Art of Model Rocketry.

Daddyisabar 11-14-2011 01:50 PM

Quote:
I am the uncontested Master of the Dark Art of Model Rocketry.

Many things you can learn about the art of model rocketry from the Dark Master and NOT from the Jedi. Did you know of the Sith legend of Darth Sparky, so power full with the Dark Side was he that he could shoot lighting bolts through his fingers and successfully ignite both High Power and Micro Max clusters at safe distances with out the use of an expensive launch control system. So powerful that the midi-chlorians would tell him if the rocket was stable, and would bring spent copperheads back to life. Never underestimate the Power of the Dark Side. Just keep building black super plane rockets from the evil empire and all will be well.

shrox 11-14-2011 02:09 PM

Quote:
Many things you can learn about the art of model rocketry from the Dark Master and NOT from the Jedi. Did you know of the Sith legend of Darth Sparky, so power full with the Dark Side was he that he could shoot lighting bolts through his fingers and successfully ignite both High Power and Micro Max clusters at safe distances with out the use of an expensive launch control system. So powerful that the midi-chlorians would tell him if the rocket was stable, and would bring spent copperheads back to life. Never underestimate the Power of the Dark Side. Just keep building black super plane rockets from the evil empire and all will be well.

Yeah, I don't do that...the whole LARP speak thing...

A Fish Named Wallyum 11-14-2011 03:34 PM

Quote:
Golly gee, we have enough trouble with the Monty Python crowd, we don't need any Sweathog hijackers adding to problem. Did I ever tell you the one about my Uncle Lester, where he got thrown off the forum for typing all his posts to sound like Ahh-nol'd HOR-shaaak.

Hey, when the Sweathog is the ranking forum deity, it's all good. :D

A Fish Named Wallyum 11-14-2011 03:42 PM

Quote:

- Rich

THIS.............

.....is SHROX!!!
(Well, at least as I see it. ;) )

dyaugo 11-14-2011 04:03 PM

It doesn't take much to design rockets...there's a lot of builders out there that put together some nice "ORIGINAL" scratch builds in other forums.

With a lot of the software out there today you are only limited to your imagination. There's nothing more rewarding than designing, building and flying your own rocket you built from scratch. The thing that is so cool you don't end up spending a small fortune on a kit.

Most of the designers out there do some variation of existing kits and they slap their name on it and say its theirs..what a joke.

Most of the kits out there today are way over priced anyway. I would never shell out $50 for balsa and cardboard..if the kit used plywood parts such as rings and fins or fiberglass...then yeah it would be worth it!

Just my two cents :D

jadebox 11-14-2011 04:10 PM

Quote:

[Spoiler]
http://www.payloadbay.com/article-shrox.html
[/Spoiler]

-- Roger

jadebox 11-14-2011 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyaugo
It doesn't take much to design rockets...there's a lot of builders out there that put together some nice "ORIGINAL" scratch builds in other forums.

With a lot of the software out there today you are only limited to your imagination. There's nothing more rewarding than designing, building and flying your own rocket you built from scratch. The thing that is so cool you don't end up spending a small fortune on a kit.

Most of the designers out there do some variation of existing kits and they slap their name on it and say its theirs..what a joke.

Most of the kits out there today are way over priced.

Apparently, there's a great business opportunity available to you. If you can design, develop, and market quality model rocket kits at lower prices than the ones available from other vendors, you should do well. :-)

-- Roger

dyaugo 11-14-2011 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadebox
Apparently, there's a great business opportunity available to you. If you can design, develop, and market quality model rocket kits at lower prices than the ones available from other vendors, you should do well. :-)

-- Roger

I'm already doing it right now. I have a few proto-types I am working on.

tbzep 11-14-2011 04:22 PM

Quote:

It doesn't take much to design a rocket. But it does take a lot of talent to design a rocket that makes me want to buy it after being exposed to the classic Estes and Centuri exotic kits for all these years. Most of the scratch kits I see on "other forums" are not that interesting to me.

dyaugo 11-14-2011 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
It doesn't take much to design a rocket. But it does take a lot of talent to design a rocket that makes me want to buy it after being exposed to the classic Estes and Centuri exotic kits for all these years. Most of the scratch kits I see on "other forums" are not that interesting to me.

That's where you have to go with your imagination and capture the excitement...don't6 be afraid to take risks and try something completely out of the box :)

tbzep 11-14-2011 04:53 PM

Quote:
That's where you have to go with your imagination and capture the excitement...don't6 be afraid to take risks and try something completely out of the box :)

Most of the scratch designs I see are fairly normal, but even the more exoticly constructed rockets usually don't jump out at me because they often have gaudy paint schemes and no decals. A good base coat with one or two small accent colors and a creative set of decals really make a difference, even on 3FNC rockets. That's where the talent comes in. :cool:

raohara 11-14-2011 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadebox
[Spoiler]
http://www.payloadbay.com/article-shrox.html
[/Spoiler]

-- Roger

Thanks, Roger. Without your reference, and based on earlier posts, I thought shrox was either an expert at priming and painting rockets (A Dark Art) or the designer of the Estes Star Wars Episode I kits.

- Rich

dyaugo 11-14-2011 05:03 PM

Quote:
Most of the scratch designs I see are fairly normal, but even the more exoticly constructed rockets usually don't jump out at me because they often have gaudy paint schemes and no decals. A good base coat with one or two small accent colors and a creative set of decals really make a difference, even on 3FNC rockets. That's where the talent comes in. :cool:

You are 100% spot on with the color selection...I think people get carried away with the painting and get too elaborate. I like my paint jobs to blend and tie with not just the color, but the actual graphics themselves.

dlazarus6660 11-14-2011 06:18 PM

Nope!

Quote:

Nope...Too late, that rocket launched! :chuckle:

shrox 11-14-2011 06:20 PM

Quote:

Most of the kits out there today are way over priced anyway. I would never shell out $50 for balsa and cardboard..if the kit used plywood parts such as rings and fins or fiberglass...then yeah it would be worth it!

OK friend.

http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showt...highlight=shrox

dyaugo 11-14-2011 07:08 PM

Quote:

OK what?? LOL I have seen your designs before and ... ??

Vanel 11-14-2011 07:36 PM

Quote:

What's your point? Am I suppose to be impressed and bow at the knees? LOL

I'm sorry but your kits all look the same...

Shrox's designs are almost universally liked. Bashing those and the designs of other vendors is hardly going to endear you to your future customer base, especially when you imply that most of us are sheep who blindly buy the "same old thing" over and over. When all is said and done, your success as a vendor will be determined by how we, the customers, feel about your stuff. If we don't like them, you will sell nada and go nowhere.

I look forward to seeing your kits... In the meantime, a little diplomacy may be in order. You can toot your horn without deriding the sound of others, ya know.

shrox 11-14-2011 08:03 PM

Quote:

Don't edit, it's too late...

Tau Zero 11-14-2011 09:27 PM

Shrox getting his Shatner together...

Quote:
With all due respect... Indeed.

I can occasionally whip up a cool design, as can James Pierson and Craig McGraw. (Granted, they do it a *lot* more often than I do. :o )

But how many of them [MINE] are as distinctive as Shrox's? (cricket sound effects)

Quote:
I have to wholeheartedly agree with tbzep here.

Shrox, you're welcome here, and I encourage you to "keep 'em comin'!"

Cheers and good luck,

A Fish Named Wallyum 11-14-2011 10:38 PM

Quote:
Don't edit, it's too late...

:chuckle:

Doug Sams 11-15-2011 06:50 AM

Quote:

What's your point? Am I suppose to be impressed and bow at the knees?
No, you're supposed to show your @$$.

Oh, I see you already have.

Doug

dyaugo 11-15-2011 08:02 AM

Yeah I tried to edit to be nice, but you know what I will call it like I see it. Most of the designs I see from you are just copies of your previous designs, which is fine if you like that sort of design. Sure your designs look cool, but what I found out and I'm sure others who have them won't admit that some don't fly that well and are unstable. They would be nice shelf queens. I realized a lot of your supporters live in a box and can't think outside of it, but SHROX you have to realize that and accept it.

Personally I don't think they are worth a $50 plus price tag and $25 plus on some of the scaled down kits you have on the market. More power to you...I wish you would come up with something completely off the wall on all levels that will blow everyone away.

In a nutshell look deeper and get out of your comfort zone. How about a unique wing design? Maybe a different motor configuration....those kind of changes. And check the stability

Good luck!!

Shreadvector 11-15-2011 08:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
See attached.

evil ed 11-15-2011 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreadvector
See attached.

:chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

dyaugo 11-15-2011 09:14 AM

Here are some ideas...

Cluster
Multi-Stage
Different wing design
Boost Glider
Side mounted boosters

Just some thoughts

I'm sure you can incorporate something like that into your designs? Think outside the box. That's why you have a mental block on your designs. You get into a groove and can't come up with anything original.

For a $50 I would expect a kit that came with lite ply rings, nylon chute, eye screw to attach shock cord.

Every once and awhile you have to get knocked off your high horse to get things back into perspective. If you think your designs are great and outstanding you eliminate the opportunity for growth and creativity. Try something different....

Good luck!!

Jerry Irvine 11-15-2011 09:19 AM

Quote:
Here are some ideas...

Cluster
Multi-Stage
Different wing design
Boost Glider
Side mounted boosters

Just some thoughts

For a $50 I would expect a kit that came with lite ply rings, eye screw to attach shock cord.

http://v-serv.com/usr/instaship-visual.htm

bob jablonski 11-15-2011 09:22 AM

[QUOTE= Search out his name on the forums and you too shall see the light. Blessed are those who eat the white pasty glue.[/QUOTE]
White pasty glue UMMM :chuckle:
Welcome back Mr. Shrox
Mr. Bob
Starlght dude

dyaugo 11-15-2011 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine

Thanks for sharing Jerry...

Now there are so many kits there that offer so much variety it makes the customer want to buy more than just one. Well made and quality materials! Thanks for sharing!

I actually like this kit

http://v-serv.com/usr/kits/swarmc67.htm

and this one

http://v-serv.com/usr/kits/fwithmultipledpods.htm