Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Cardstock Rocketry (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Star Destroyer (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=10927)

mycrofte 03-29-2012 06:25 PM

Star Destroyer

2 Attachment(s)
Got started on another prototype yesterday. Actually been wanting to do this for a long time!

Again, sorry about the bad pictures. Not my day for holding still.

chrism 03-29-2012 07:25 PM

Paper model?

i luv duct tape 03-29-2012 07:31 PM

did you find this online? if so, you got a link? i would love to try one

dlazarus6660 03-29-2012 07:54 PM

Details, Details, Details!

mycrofte 03-29-2012 09:15 PM

It is a cardstock (hopefully flyable) version I've been working on.

I ended up putting two small fins on the bottom after looking at the Estes rocket. But, the top is a lot more simple. I thought the Estes version was a bit chunky. So, the command center on top is actually a hollow rectangle.

I never did like the commercial rockets with a foot long tube sticking out. Might end up being completely unstable. Then again, I thought the same thing about the Icarus...
_______

mikeyd 03-29-2012 10:54 PM

I have often wondered if I could weight the nose enough, on the original Estes, to make it stable, without the long probe. And then if it would be light enough to still fly!

mycrofte 03-30-2012 07:11 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I designed this around a BT-20, but BT-5 on a 1/2A might fly better. I just didn't have a BT-5 handy to work with.

And I figured, if a Cubit can fly this should too! That is why I designed the rear tower as a triangle shaped fin instead of being more accurate to the model. And, it only has one deck level instead of 3 or 4.

One deck level, on top and bottom, adds strength and detail without making it look like a brick.

I'll put up my prototype files and maybe someone can come up with an idea or two!

There is a gray line on the body where a BT-20 should end. I glued the rear (engine) piece on and ran a tube to have something solid to hold while building. I couldn't come up with a good way to make a cone, so I'm going with rear ejection and tumble recovery for now.
_________

P.S. There are some places that may not have tabs yet. You may have to add your own! The sides of the deck were to small for natural tabs. I cut little strips to add.
________

i luv duct tape 03-30-2012 10:36 AM

sweet! ill have to print those out later today when im on a better computer. this one is a piece of poop with broken USB ports

mycrofte 03-30-2012 12:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I have already made some corrections and small changes.

i luv duct tape 03-30-2012 01:46 PM

that looks sick! i really need to learn how to do that!

EDIT: also, is there a bottom, or do i just print out 2 of the top?

EDIT 2: nevermind. i figured it out

EDIT 3: i printed it out and all i get is the glue tab on the first page and the words that are typed next to the peices on the second page