Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Crayon Rocket (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=13302)

dlazarus6660 12-27-2013 05:09 PM

Crayon Rocket

1 Attachment(s)
Looky what I got tonight for a buck.($1)
Any build threads on this puppy?

mikeyd 12-27-2013 08:47 PM

If you are very carefull, and I used a hair dryer to heat the tube, a BT70 body tube will fit through it. I cut the nose off, and glued a bt70 coupler, then through the body on the fins to a 24mm mount. Works great on E-F engines!

rocketguy101 12-27-2013 11:57 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyd
If you are very carefull, and I used a hair dryer to heat the tube, a BT70 body tube will fit through it. I cut the nose off, and glued a bt70 coupler, then through the body on the fins to a 24mm mount. Works great on E-F engines!

I didn't have to heat the tube, the BT-70 was a perfect fit in my crayon...I cut the nose off where the yellow arrow is pointing.

I used clear fins (Lexan from Tower Hobbies), TTW

It's a great flyer!! It has flown on D12 and E9 motors.

vigilante 12-28-2013 08:37 AM

Nice! Where did you find it at?

rocketguy101 12-28-2013 08:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the RockSim file for my model...it will work with OpenRocket

chris m 12-28-2013 09:03 PM

You can find them at a dollar store . I have a 4 " crayon that comes apart and the tube is cardboard. Doing a 38mm on that one

dlazarus6660 12-29-2013 01:02 PM

I got mine from a Rhode Island based store called Ocean State Job Lot. It's kinda like a Wal-Mart.

vigilante 12-29-2013 01:15 PM

Dollar Store, that was what I was waiting to hear. Will get there soon!

hotrod lincoln 12-30-2013 06:44 AM

I picked up some nice crayons at dollar store. 1.75 dia. X 24" approximate.
R-Us is a good source for the larger ones, extra specialy after Christmas.

I sense a distubance at my work bench.......

And I smell a crayon drag race this spring. :D

o1d_dude 02-14-2014 02:47 AM

Sorry that I'm arriving so late in this thread...

Bay Area Rocketry makes a kit that simplifies the building process. The kit is not listed on the website but through the site's "Contact Us" function you can request information on the kit.

The centering rings and fins are laser-cut and with the motor tube these parts form the fin-can internal structure and motor mount. Cut a few slots in the base of the crayon body tube and you epoxy the mount in place. Also included are templates for the slots and launch lug standoffs. Forgot to mention that a complete nose cone parts kit (3 bulkheads, t-nut, nuts, bolts, eyebolt) makes the plastic nose cone functional for rocketry. The included recovery system consists of a length of 1/4" braided kevlar and some stretchy nylon braid. My first kit came with a chute but the second kit did not.

You can order the kit complete or you can order just the internals which should save on the shipping. I launch my BAR kits (29mm and 38mm) on rail buttons rather than the 1/4" launch lugs which are probably a bit undersized from a rod whip perspective. There's always room for improvements and upgrades on any kit and I'm working on a dual deploy nose cone av-bay for use with the Cable Cutter to pop my main chute.

Anyone interested in a cheap L1 cert rocket? $65 for the kit, and $30 for an Aerotech HP SU motor will give you the tools needed to get your ticket punched. I've seen people building these on the range and certing that same day.

BTW, don't seal the slot in the nose cone. It makes for a great whistle after the motor burns out.