Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Astron Invader Glider (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=5575)

Lancecrafter 07-14-2009 12:02 PM

Astron Invader Glider

What kind of modification would have to be done to add a engine hook? So I can put the regular size 1/2A, A, B, engines in the Invader so the engines won't eject? Should I add exhaust holes for the ejection charge or use booster engines like you would use in a multistage rocket.

A spent engine does not way as much as the lead disc weight that attaches to the nose cone. Is there going to be a weight disperse issue the spent engine staying in the rocket.

CPMcGraw 07-14-2009 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancecrafter
What kind of modification would have to be done to add a engine hook? So I can put the regular size 1/2A, A, B, engines in the Invader so the engines won't eject? Should I add exhaust holes for the ejection charge or use booster engines like you would use in a multistage rocket.

A spent engine does not way as much as the lead disc weight that attaches to the nose cone. Is there going to be a weight disperse issue the spent engine staying in the rocket.

Keeping the engine in the tube is not a good idea on this model. It is supposed to spit the casing out to make the model lighter. You are supposed to trim the model with no casing installed.

The casing might not weigh as much as the lead disk, but it distributes that weight across (and behind) the CG location. A lead disk concentrates all of the weight forward of the CG, allowing the model to achieve balance.

A Fish Named Wallyum 07-14-2009 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancecrafter

I think you'd have to cash in a miracle to get this to work. Even under the best of circumstances this one can only loosely be called a "glider". :D (I think they just figured that it sounded better than calling it an Astron Invader Flutterer. :rolleyes: ;) )

CPMcGraw 07-15-2009 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
I think you'd have to cash in a miracle to get this to work. Even under the best of circumstances this one can only loosely be called a "glider". :D (I think they just figured that it sounded better than calling it an Astron Invader Flutterer. :rolleyes: ;) )

...And I'll have to second AFNW's comment somewhat -- it took me three models to get one to fly reasonably well. The first two allowed me to learn what NOT to do on the third...

Now you understand why it didn't remain in the catalog very long...

mycrofte 07-15-2009 02:55 AM

I can't even find a picture on the internet of one.

But, after messing with them for the last 6 - 8 months, it seems they do neither very well. The boost phase is rough and the glide is more of a controlled crash.

Lancecrafter 07-15-2009 06:57 AM

So someone shoot some video of one flying. They did call it the Pie Pan Flyer. Plus how do we know what an Invader would fly like in our atmosphere. : )

Mark II 07-15-2009 05:19 PM

Imagine a lightning fast back flip off the launch rod and a power prang into the ground. That's how it boosts. :mad: As for how it glides after the motor is ejected, I don't know - none of mine have ever reached that phase of the flight. :( (I have built 3 of them.)

One could spend a lot of time tweaking the design in an effort to get it to boost AND glide, but would it be worth it in the end? There are so many more flight worthy BG designs out there, both old and new, that can be built and flown with more success than this one. If you really want to try to build a flyable version of the Invader, invest in LOTS of balsa sheet.

MarkII

AstronMike 07-15-2009 10:04 PM

Its too bad that no one got pics or video of my version flying at the last TTRA launch. Boosted dead straight and ejected going up on a B4-2. Then it got into a good thermal and looked like it was going bye bye until the thermal broke up near the far tree line and then I got it back.

If you guys wait a few months you may yet see 'relief', and I dont mean from Estes, Semroc, BMS etc...... :o

A Fish Named Wallyum 07-15-2009 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrofte
I can't even find a picture on the internet of one.

But, after messing with them for the last 6 - 8 months, it seems they do neither very well. The boost phase is rough and the glide is more of a controlled crash.

http://www.rocketreviews.com/review...n_invader.shtml ;)

mycrofte 07-16-2009 03:27 AM

Oh yeah! I forgot about that one.

But the balancing act between boost and glide is pretty tight on any of them! That is why I said they really do neither very well. My most successful flight so far was the Starlight Sparrow.