Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Building an original MMI ARCON (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=3319)

Phred 05-14-2008 10:35 AM

Building an original MMI ARCON

1 Attachment(s)
DISCLAIMER: This thread is not for the faint of heart. All dyed-in-the-wool / MIB / sealed in plastic collector types should leave this thread now.... YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!! :eek:

Today, I began a once in a lifetime experience: Building an original Model Missiles ARCON model rocket kit. I purchased this kit from Rocket Doctor (Thanks Ken!!) a while ago. It was pretty beat up. Someone started to assemble it years ago: The fins were glued on and stripped off leaving stubs of balsa. The original parallel wound BT-40 body tube is not in the best shape, and the parachute appears to have been assembled and attached to the nosecome. Only the shroud lines remain. Based on the sad shape the model is in, I decided to finish the rocket, and bring it to fly (YES FLY!) at NARAM 50.

I also decieded to record the entire build for posterity.

Attached is a photo just before I began work:

Phred

Phred 05-14-2008 10:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attached is a close-up of the fins. As you can see, the original modeler glued them on with the grain going the worng way. It appears they glued the trailing edge to the body tube.

Phred 05-14-2008 10:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
First, I removed the fins carefully with an exacto knife with a nice fresh blade, then I lightly sanded the area.

Phred 05-14-2008 10:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Next, I re-marked the fins using the plan supplied fin marking guide:

Phred 05-14-2008 10:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Now that restoration was completed, it was time to build: first is the engine mount. My model contained a note that the original plastic engine mount was no longer supplied, and instead, the modeler should wrap rubber bands around the motor for a friction fit. I decided to build a motor mount from some vintage BT-20, and an old ESTES motor block:

Phred 05-14-2008 10:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Next comes the fins: New fins were cut from 1/16" balsa stock. A special Thanks to Mark Mayfield and Bob Kaplow who both took the time to dig out their original and pristine ARCON kits and measure the original fins for me.

Phred 05-14-2008 10:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Now, for the moment we have all been waiting for: The fins were sanded with sharp angled leading and trailing edges as per the original instructions (and the scale data I have BTW...)...

Finally, I glued on the first two fins.....

Rocketflyer 05-14-2008 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by excelsior_rocketry
DISCLAIMER: This thread is not for the faint of heart. All dyed-in-the-wool / MIB / sealed in plastic collector types should leave this thread now.... YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!! :eek:

Today, I began a once in a lifetime experience: Building an original Model Missiles ARCON model rocket kit. I purchased this kit from Rocket Doctor (Thanks Ken!!) a while ago. It was pretty beat up. Someone started to assemble it years ago: The fins were glued on and stripped off leaving stubs of balsa. The body tube is not in the best shape, and the parachute appears to have been assembled and attached to the nosecome. Only the shroud lines remain. Based on the sad shape the model is in, I decided to finish the rocket, and bring it to fly (YES FLY!) at NARAM 50.

I also decieded to record the entire build for posterity.

Attached is a photo just before I began work:

Phred

Way to go Phred! :D. A well posted vintage build. That should be nice to see at NARAM 50 I'll be looking for you and the ARCON.

Carl@Semroc 05-14-2008 10:59 AM

Fred,

How long is the body tube? It looks to be about 14.5" long in the photo. I always thought it was 13.75", which was the standard length for the Estes BT-40.

Did it have an aluminum and manila engine holder like the MMI Aerobee-Hi?

Phred 05-14-2008 11:12 AM

Hi Carl,

The BT40 is 13.75" long. No, there is no engine mount included in my kit. The miscellaneous typed notes to the buyer that are included in the kit is dated 1962.

Phred