Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Thank You Estes ... Need Suggestions (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=13361)

wz2p7j 01-06-2014 05:16 PM

Thank You Estes ... Need Suggestions

I contacted Estes for replacement decals for the Vagabond and Air Commander and they sent me the complete kits!! So I'm going to use the replacement decals for my existing rockets and then use the remaining parts to cob together new projects. I think I'll use the Air Commander parts to make a Sea Strike D. But not sure what to cob together using the Vagabond parts. Any suggestions? Does the Red Max use that BT and nosecone?

Thanks, Chris

chrism 01-06-2014 06:04 PM

That was very nice of Estes to send kits and not just the decals! If you would like to build an OOP rocket, just take a look over at ninfinger and build what strikes your fancy. If you like to scratch build...just use your imagination.

dlazarus6660 01-07-2014 02:56 PM

Let me see what happens when I ask for decals for a QCC Explorer and a Renegade-D and just for giggles, I'll ask for the Xarconian Crusier and a Laser Lance. :rolleyes:

Not!

Estes has given me excellent customer service for over 20 years. 1992,I sent a snail mail to Estes for the paper wraps to the SR-71 and decals and they sent me the whole kit, Free!

Randy 01-07-2014 03:41 PM

It's not uncommon for Estes to go above and beyond like that. Our first attempt to 3 stage a Saturn V resulted in the vaporization of the capsule, well before their last re-issue. At that time I didn't think they'd still have replacement parts from the 1999 release.

I called and explained what we were trying to do (11 engines, 3 stages) and asked if I could get a replacement cone and what it would cost. I fully intended to pay for it but they wouldn't hear of it. Not only did I get the cone, in less than a week I got most of a full kit including wraps and decals with a note that said better luck on the next attempt!

Needless to say I was blown away.

Randy
www.vernarockets.com
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HHJHOK6

jeffyjeep 01-07-2014 11:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wz2p7j
I contacted Estes for replacement decals for the Vagabond and Air Commander and they sent me the complete kits!! So I'm going to use the replacement decals for my existing rockets and then use the remaining parts to cob together new projects. I think I'll use the Air Commander parts to make a Sea Strike D. But not sure what to cob together using the Vagabond parts. Any suggestions? Does the Red Max use that BT and nosecone?

Thanks, Chris

I'VE GOT IT!!

THIS is what you can do with the Vagabond PNC, BT, and engine mount:

Scratch build a Sentinel!

Like THIS one:

Rich Holmes 01-08-2014 09:24 AM

Quote:
Does the Red Max use that BT and nosecone?

Vagabond instruction sheet says the nose cone part number is 072305. Then the Estes Nose Cone Reference (PDF) lists the following for that nose cone:

1987 Sentinel
1998 Mega Sizz
2014 Firehawk
2029 Raven
2032 Magnum
2037 National Aerospace Plane
2127 Sizzler

(It doesn't list the Vagabond because the list dates from 2010, before the Vagabond was released.)

astronwolf 01-08-2014 12:02 PM

Quote:
Any suggestions? Does the Red Max use that BT and nosecone?

Hey Chris if it is the long PNC-60H nose cone, clone the old Estes Patriot!

Edited - You can still clone the old Estes Patriot!

-W

Rich Holmes 01-08-2014 12:38 PM

PNC-60RL. The PNC-60AH used on the 0652 Patriot is a couple inches shorter.

wz2p7j 01-09-2014 03:25 PM

Great ideas! That Sentinel looks pretty interesting - I don't remember that one.

Chris

jeffyjeep 01-09-2014 03:35 PM

The Sentinel was from the mid 1980's (I believe) and was one of my all-time favorite "scale-like" models. I've also seen it modified into an awesome 2-stager.

Sandman has the decals.

If you need a scan of the instructions and/or fin patterns, PM me.