Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Estes Nebulon Warrior clone (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=1994)

MonsterRocket 08-02-2007 06:06 PM

Estes Nebulon Warrior clone

I had an Estes Nebulon Warrior when I was younger. It was only launched once (a horizontal catastrophe that sent my friends and I ducking for cover) but it was still my favorite rocket. I just thought it looked so cool.
I recently got back into rockets and while doing searches online for a N.W. I came across Jim Z's site and all the plans. Not being able to find an original Estes kit, I decided that it was time for me to take my first step into cloning (or scratch building or whatever. I'm not clear on the correct terms. All I know is I had to track down the pieces instead of getting them all together in a nice bag. Ha!).
I got the body tubes and rings from Semroc, the Balsa from Micheals Hobby, and picked up an Estes Viking to steal the nose cone.

I still have to print out and apply the decals (and yeah, I know I could have done a better job with the sanding sealer on the fins) but here it is in it's current state

Hopefully this one will go UP :rolleyes:

cas2047 08-02-2007 08:30 PM

It looks great! It'll look even better with the decals on!

You really did a fine job on it. :)

JRThro 08-02-2007 08:35 PM

Looks great to me!

And btw, it's a clone since it's a more-or-less exact copy of a kit. A scratch build is typically something you make up yourself.

Green Dragon 08-03-2007 11:38 AM

Lookin good so far.

Personally, I tend to try for better ( re: the sanding sealer, you note ) but have older stuff I look back at and cringe, lol . it will look great with the decals on .

Be sure to send finished pics.

also, NICE bunch of monster / alien models, looks like high grade work on the kits ( airbrushed ? ) .
Also note the EXTREMELY RARE Kenner alien, in original box .... heck thats far rarer than even a boxed Centuri Little Joe :)

~ AL

( not a monster builder, but old toy afficianado / occasional dealer / colletor )

MonsterRocket 08-03-2007 04:28 PM

Thanks guys!
Those Aurora Monster Models were painted by a friend of mine. No airbrushing at all. All hand painted.
I'm not really a monster builder either - I'm a monster MAKER. I make full head latex masks. I sculpt them out of clay, make the molds, pour the rubber, and paint 'em up.
Here's an example -

It's only a matter of time before my interests collide and I end up with rocket powered flying monsters :D

cas2047 08-03-2007 05:46 PM

Quote:
It's only a matter of time before my interests collide and I end up with rocket powered flying monsters :D

Hey those would be a huge hit right around Halloween! ;)

Very scary/cool looking monster by the way!

foose4string 08-04-2007 06:09 AM

Kind of Eddie-ish(Iron Maiden). Cool monster, cool rocket.

MonsterRocket 08-10-2007 10:49 PM

Ok it's done! If the weather is good tomorrow it's going up!

When doing the decals I made a slight change to the ship designation number to reflect the year I cloned it hehe

cas2047 08-11-2007 08:01 AM

Looks awsome! I like the 2007 change and can't wait to hear the flight report! :)