Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Hardware (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Field Box (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=9296)

MarkB. 05-23-2011 09:10 PM

Field Box

OK Guys,

I got an idea for a new product.

Fancy Wood Box with a hinged top, interior dimensions 20" x 8" x 4" , brass latches and hinges, carrying handle on top.

Laser etched Saturn V lift off and the words Field Operations on the top

Gloss acrylic Polyurethane finish.

I'd buy one.

Don't thank me.

Brain 07-26-2011 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB.
OK Guys,

Fancy Wood Box with a hinged top, interior dimensions 20" x 8" x 4" , brass latches and hinges, carrying handle on top.

I'd buy one.

Don't thank me.

"Fancy" = "Expensive".
But, yeah... :rolleyes:

Mopower71 07-26-2011 09:19 PM

Quote:
OK Guys,

I'd buy one.

Don't thank me.

Something like a slot car box, just sized for rockets?

MarkB. 07-26-2011 10:36 PM

Actually, those are the dimensions of my 1974 cardboard Estes Field Operations box which is biodegrading seemingly before my very eyes . . . .

o1d_dude 07-27-2011 01:54 AM

Quote:
Actually, those are the dimensions of my 1974 cardboard Estes Field Operations box which is biodegrading seemingly before my very eyes . . . .

I no longer take my 1982 version out to the range any more. It's sitting in a cabinet in the bottom of my work bench next to a cardboard box that contained the electronic parts to my 1971 Dynaco ST-120 stereo amplifier.

Who knew cardboard box could last so long?

carbons4 07-28-2011 04:06 PM

field box

They used the same preservative in those as they did Twinkies............

Brain 09-20-2011 06:19 PM

Hope there's room in that field box for Twinkies... mmmmm! :rolleyes:

stefanj 09-20-2011 06:31 PM

Through the years I've had Centuri, MPC, Quest and Estes starter-set "field boxes." Some came from garage sales, some were purchased.

All gone. Some got water damaged, others wore out. One was a double-decker; Estes on the top, MPC on the bottom, duct-taped together so I could carry all the crap I needed.

They wouldn't be practical for carrying my current models & launcher, but I fantasize about finding old starter sets at thrift sales or back-water toy stores. (New, unopened ones of course.)

mycrofte 09-21-2011 04:05 AM

I finally had to get a clear plastic case from a sewing/craft shop. It is about the same size as an Estes Range Box.

Feyd 09-21-2011 06:47 AM

I have one of these:

Lift-n-Lok

It's a great box and holds a BUNCH of regular BP engines, igniters, launch controllers, etc. The top part is large enough to hold parts for my launcher, a notebook, tape, and miscellaneous junk. It was a little expensive (and is kinda heavy) but being able to take pretty much EVERYTHING I need for a launch (except the rockets of course) in one box is well worth the cost and weight.

Another great thing about it is once you close the locking handle, you can turn it upside down and the stuff in the individual compartments won't get jumbled.

You'll want to look around on the web for better prices though.