Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Wanted: Dead or Alive! (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Info on the Enerjet 1340, 1340/20 Fin Can Colors (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=17912)

K'Tesh 05-20-2019 10:34 AM

Info on the Enerjet 1340, 1340/20 Fin Can Colors

I've seen several photos online of the Enerjet 1340, and the 1340/20, and precious few of them from when they were in production. Annoyingly, those photos from "In the day" are all black and white. The color photos I've found could be originals, or clones of the kits.

So, I'm asking for your help. I'm only interested in authentic kits, and not clones.

Thanks!
Jim

ghrocketman 05-20-2019 01:06 PM

I have seen pictures of kits and built Enerjet 1340s with red/orange and blue fin cans. I have only seen black fin cans on built ones and not in kits, so don't know if those ever came in kits.

Initiator001 05-20-2019 01:57 PM

I have never seen an actual Enerjet 1340/20.

My understanding is that the model used red fin cans.

I have Centuri Orange and blue colored fin cans in other kits from that era but not red.

The red colored fin cans were/are rare.

K'Tesh 05-20-2019 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I have seen pictures of kits and built Enerjet 1340s with red/orange and blue fin cans. I have only seen black fin cans on built ones and not in kits, so don't know if those ever came in kits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001
I have never seen an actual Enerjet 1340/20.

My understanding is that the model used red fin cans.

I have Centuri Orange and blue colored fin cans in other kits from that era but not red.

The red colored fin cans were/are rare.

Thanks for that info!

Ok. So, we've firsthand confirmation that the 1340s came with red fins and blue fins at one time. I'm a little confused by the "/orange" remark. Did it come in orange too, or was the red fins one of those reddish orange colors that come up from time to time that could be red or orange depending on the person looking at it, and/or the lighting?

Outside of the red fin cans from Enerjet (as confirmed by ghrocketman), Centuri released them with the Argus (KB-9) and no other kits from Centuri/Estes as far as I know of.

So far, we've got nothing about white or yellow or black for stock Enerjet kits (yet)(though unlabeled photos exist for them, but are quite likely clones).

If anyone else has information on these old kits, please chime in.

Thanks!

I wonder if any of the people who were at Enerjet/Centuri back in the day are still around to ask. Does anybody know? Or know how to reach them?

MarkB. 05-20-2019 05:41 PM

Comrades:

A non-comprehensive list of kits that had the fin unit from Centuri/Estes will include:

Challenger II (Black)
Maniac (Blue)
Eliminator and Eliminator XL (Yellow)

Also, the Centuri M.A.R.S. Project static display had Blue fins (I have one still in the bag)

I too am going through an EnerJet cloning phase. Some vinyl EnerJet decals would be nice . . . .

LeeR 05-20-2019 06:23 PM

I’m tempted to buy a Cricut Maker. They not only cut vinyl for decals, but balsa up to 3/32”. The detail is amazing. The Maker lists for $399, but I’ve seen it on sale for $369 at Joann’s and Hobby Lobby this week.

If you just want to cut vinyl, the lower priced Cricuts work well. Check out their capabilities on YouTube.

Jerry Irvine 05-20-2019 07:32 PM

The 1340 existed as a kit and came only with red fin units and red nose cone and payload coupler for the thicker Mini-Max tube.

The 1340/20 was only in photos.

The 2250 and 2650 were actual kits.

Jerry

K'Tesh 05-20-2019 07:53 PM

Further research

Worthpoint has a kit that claims to be a 1340 with a blue fin can... There's some black and red parts in there too..

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthope...-1340-251820623

Some chatter in this thread indicates that it may have been a spev

http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=8742

SEL 05-20-2019 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB.
Comrades:

A non-comprehensive list of kits that had the fin unit from Centuri/Estes will include:

Challenger II (Black)
Maniac (Blue)
Eliminator and Eliminator XL (Yellow)

Also, the Centuri M.A.R.S. Project static display had Blue fins (I have one still in the bag)

I too am going through an EnerJet cloning phase. Some vinyl EnerJet decals would be nice . . . .

Add the Estes ‘Long Shot’ 2 stager to the list - came w/2 black fin units.

SEL 05-20-2019 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'Tesh
Thanks for that info!

Ok. So, we've firsthand confirmation that the 1340s came with red fins and blue fins at one time. I'm a little confused by the "/orange" remark. Did it come in orange too, or was the red fins one of those reddish orange colors that come up from time to time that could be red or orange depending on the person looking at it, and/or the lighting?

Outside of the red fin cans from Enerjet (as confirmed by ghrocketman), Centuri released them with the Argus (KB-9) and no other kits from Centuri/Estes as far as I know of.

So far, we've got nothing about white or yellow or black for stock Enerjet kits (yet)(though unlabeled photos exist for them, but are quite likely clones).

If anyone else has information on these old kits, please chime in.

Thanks!

I wonder if any of the people who were at Enerjet/Centuri back in the day are still around to ask. Does anybody know? Or know how to reach them?

The colors I know of are red, yellowish orange, blue and black.
The only one I haven’t seen personally is red.

Sean