Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Vintage Estes Patriot Build (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=6885)

scigs30 04-06-2010 07:58 PM

Vintage Estes Patriot Build

I was putting my 1979 collection together the other night and realized that I never build the original Patriot. I built a clone a few years ago and since I have acquired 3 of these kits. So I had to build the original. The kit is in great shape, I compared the parts to my clone and there are some differences. The first is the fins are about 1/2 inch bigger on my clone vs the original, don't ask why because I don't know. The decal from my clone looks good, but the colors don't match the original. Once this is done, all my 1979 builds will be originals.
The build is pretty easy, the engine tube is straight forward. Mark the tube with the jig that comes with kit. The shock cord is typical Estes trifold with a new piece of rubber, want to at least get a couple flights out of her before she becomes a shelf queen.

Martins4xf 04-06-2010 10:15 PM

Just looking at the parts in the photos...
any reason why the engine mount is so long? I suppose it would keep the parachute up front. it looks like the main tube is only 18" long. what size is it?
did you actually use the launch lug alignment pieces...how well did they work. I haven't seen them in any recent kits.
anyway, I like the look, can't wait to see it finished.

timorley 04-06-2010 10:25 PM

I really liked this rocket. I can't wait to see yours completed. You always do very nice work.

Bob H 04-06-2010 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timorley
I really liked this rocket. I can't wait to see yours completed. You always do very nice work.
I agree. Very nice work and if you are in to FF scale airplanes you should see his work over on the Guillows and Comet forums.

CPMcGraw 04-06-2010 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martins4xf
Just looking at the parts in the photos...
any reason why the engine mount is so long? I suppose it would keep the parachute up front. it looks like the main tube is only 18" long. what size is it?...

I think it's the same internal structure used in the Big Bertha. Seems there was actually a period in the history of Estes' engines where the deployment charge was a little weak...

Estes has made up for this in the last few years... :eek: :D

stefanj 04-06-2010 10:57 PM

Last time I saw my Patriot it was disappearing over a tree line under Composite Dynamics E30 (?) power.

The paint and decal scheme have a cheesy '70s Wonder Woman vibe I kind of like.

scigs30 04-07-2010 12:28 AM

The main Body Tube is 18 inches long and the engine tube is the same size as the Wizard Body tube, around 8 inches long. The jig that came with this kit is used to make the marks for the fins and lugs, I think it is used in the new Release of the Der Red Max. The build went together fast since all the parts are in great shape. Here are some more pictures, now back to my freeflight build.

ghrocketman 04-07-2010 01:43 PM

Looks great !
That rocket's decor SHOULD have a "cheesy 70's vibe" to it; it did come out in the early 70's after all during the time of lapels the size of Texas, bellbottoms, camoflauge pattern carpets, and hideous color decor palettes. This rocket is about the MINIMUM amount of cheese allowed BY LAW in that era ! :p

One could die of visual pollution just looking through a Sears or Penney's catalog from that era !

jetlag 04-08-2010 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Looks great !
That rocket's decor SHOULD have a "cheesy 70's vibe" to it; it did come out in the early 70's after all during the time of lapels the size of Texas, bellbottoms, camoflauge pattern carpets, and hideous color decor palettes. This rocket is about the MINIMUM amount of cheese allowed BY LAW in that era ! :p

One could die of visual pollution just looking through a Sears or Penney's catalog from that era !

LOL!!!
Did exactly that while I was waiting for things to dry! Lots of fun! :cool:

My original was a 'Citation' kit in the box. Don't remember what happened to it, so I built a clone myself about 5 years ago. Shot it off last Wed. with Leo when he was in town, and it flew well! Still love that design AND the 'cheesy' decals. Always nice flights.
Allen

BlackBrant 04-08-2010 06:21 PM

Man.....that sure brings back a lot of fine memories.Hope I don`t start crying !

Thanks for posting

Paul