Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Model Rocket History (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Estes Designers - Their Kits & Works (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=1628)

Daniel Runyon 05-09-2007 10:27 PM

Thanks a ton for that TON of info! Would you mind just sharing some memories of what it was like there?

ManofSteele 05-12-2007 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Runyon
Thanks a ton for that TON of info! Would you mind just sharing some memories of what it was like there?

No, the memories would just disappoint you. What should've been the best job in the world ended up being the worst.... I'll leave it at that.
Matt

Jackson Roykirk 05-12-2007 12:25 PM

How about my old friends: Jeff Flygare, Bruce Carey, and Mike Hellmund? I know the Dragonfly was a kit of Bruce's Rocky Mountain Canary. What else did the three of them do?

ManofSteele 05-12-2007 11:11 PM

Jeff Flygare did Centuri kits, well before my time.... the Fighter Fleet jets, the UFO, I think.

I'm not sure what else Bruce Carey did.

Hellmund didn't do any Estes kits that I remember (I'm sure he will jump and and correct me!), but did do the design that became the NCR Black Hole Betty. He did do most of the Light Gliders, and some of the WestWings gliders that Estes put out.

Matt

Rocketflyer 05-14-2007 07:17 AM

Big Dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
Good information!

The Big Daddy is enough to get you into the hall of fame.

I bought a few "Big Dawgs." I built one and added a booster stage with a boat tail. I foolishly donated it to a club auction before my last move, and gave the unbuilt "Dawgs" to friends. Darn!

Still have A Big Dawg in the box. Great flyer on the old Apogee D3. Just make sure you have a small 'chute, or use a streamer! :o

Rocketflyer 05-14-2007 07:22 AM

Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofSteele
No, the memories would just disappoint you. What should've been the best job in the world ended up being the worst.... I'll leave it at that.
Matt

I'm real sorry to hear that, Matt. I had buit two of your Eliminators. I flew them at RATS launches. A really fine flyer with sleek looks. Had to put in the 29mm MMT, but Sweet birds. :)

D Ritchie 05-28-2007 12:45 PM

Anybody know who designed the Orbital Transport or the Mars Snooper (& Snooper II)?

I seem to recall somebody telling me that Dorffler was the OT designer, but I may be mistaken.....

Rocket Doctor 07-09-2007 09:16 AM

Rocket Doctor designs

A correction to the list, it's not connector, rather converter.
Also, the Rocket Doctor has written and reviewed many instructions, including those of the Interceptor (unless they have been edited).

The original Deluxe Super Shot Screw Machine was originally in Wal-Mart as a starter set, then, discontinued, now, it's a bagged kit and is now called the Converter.

There were four more designs scheduled to be produced, but, dropped, when the Forum was dropped.

These were going to be the "good things to come" as the RD stated !!!!

JRThro 07-09-2007 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by multipad2
There were four more designs scheduled to be produced, but, dropped, when the Forum was dropped.

I thought the Estes forum was just closed for renovations. Though I'll admit I haven't followed things very closely.

Daniel Runyon 07-09-2007 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by multipad2
A correction to the list

Corrections made, RD and welcome/thanks... missed ya!

Quote:

Is this to punish you for the time you spent on the forums or are the two things (forum closing, your designs dropped) completely unrelated?

Quote:

Surely to goodness you aren't saying that that was it for the "bring backs"... the Red Max and Interceptor should have been just a barely getting started!