Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Vendors (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Quest ThunderJets at NARAM-50 (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=3614)

shockwaveriderz 07-28-2008 12:15 PM

Quest ThunderJets at NARAM-50

Quest announced the following at NARAM-50. Thanks to our Roy Green who posted this info at TRF.

Quest: D5-0p is out now, 4 and 7 out maybe by October.

BIG NEWS: Announcement of Spring 2009 delivery of the Quest Thunderjet motors.
D8-0,3,5
E12-4,7
F12-4,7
also trying to get a E16-0, and F16-0.
D8 is 24x70, E12 and F12 are 28x100,115.
These are black powder, made by chinese military factory, not fireworks maker. so quality and potency is apparently quite good.

you wanted new DEF BP motors and looks like Quest is gonna deliver.
GO QUEST!

stefanj 07-28-2008 04:49 PM

Words fail me, so: click

snaquin 07-28-2008 05:57 PM

Great news indeed!

I have a two stage scratch built that has 29mm motor mounts in both stages. Bring on the F16-0 and F12-7 .....

:)

tbzep 07-28-2008 06:46 PM

Let's hope these new motors can be sold at real prices (not MSRP) that are competitive with Estes D and E motors. Otherwise, we might as well pay the premium for AP composites. :cool:

shockwaveriderz 07-28-2008 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Let's hope these new motors can be sold at real prices (not MSRP) that are competitive with Estes D and E motors. Otherwise, we might as well pay the premium for AP composites. :cool:

Bill Stine said these would be priced near comparable AT prices:
$11-12 for the F; $7-8 for the E's and $3-4 for the D's.

These are more than reasonable prices for near full DE and a mid F(say 60nt-sec?)....especially in BP and todays market, when you take into consideration that they come all the way from China.

Plus the D's are much more near a full D (the Estes D is only 17nt-sec) and the E wil be near full E(thats near 37-38Nt-sec) .

Both the E's and F's will obviously require hazmat (because the E will be > 30g and the F will be right at 62.5g) .

So you have a choice : lower total impulse Estes DE or higher Total Impulse Quest DE

Besides, there's nothing like the smell of big BP motors in the morning!.

terry dean

snaquin 07-28-2008 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwaveriderz
Bill Stine said these would be priced near comparable AT prices:
$11-12 for the F; $7-8 for the E's and $3-4 for the D's.

These are more than reasonable prices for near full DE and a mid F(say 60nt-sec?)....especially in BP and todays market, when you take into consideration that they come all the way from China.

Plus the D's are much more near a full D (the Estes D is only 17nt-sec) and the E wil be near full E(thats near 37-38Nt-sec) .

Both the E's and F's will obviously require hazmat (because the E will be > 30g and the F will be right at 62.5g) .

So you have a choice : lower total impulse Estes DE or higher Total Impulse Quest DE

Besides, there's nothing like the smell of big BP motors in the morning!.

terry dean

Terry,

Those are reasonable prices. I'll buy plenty. I'm going to need those E16-0 and F16-0 booster motors!

Did anyone notice the Quest pictures from the NARAM Live link I posted earlier {Evening events Sunday page 2}. I see a two stage prototype in the mix ..... around the middle of the page directly following the pictures of Bill Stine.

http://www.nerys.com/naramlive/nara...day/night2.html

Resembles a two stage Nike-Ram. Looks like it has "High-D" as the proposed name on the side of the rocket.

ghrocketman 07-29-2008 11:02 AM

The prices for the D and maybe the E (if the price is $7 or less for the E) seem semi-reasonable in that they are around what it costs for a Aerotech AP composite RMS24 reload in the same impulse class.
The proposed $12 price for a 55 to 60n-sec 45-50% F is considerably higher than the street price for virtually all 80n-sec full 100% F RMS29 reloads. That's WAYYYY too high $$$$ for me unless they can get the impulse up to full F level (which can't be done with BP under the 62.5gr limit).
SU BP engines should cost less (or at most the same as BP and cardboard is FAR cheaper than AP propellant) than an equivalent RMS reload in order for me to be interested in them for anything beyond buying very few to satisfy curiosity unless I'm flying a "fire-n-forget", "send it into orbit " junk heap of a rocket.

EchoVictor 07-29-2008 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
Did anyone notice the Quest pictures from the NARAM Live link I posted earlier {Evening events Sunday page 2}. I see a two stage prototype in the mix ..... around the middle of the page directly following the pictures of Bill Stine.

http://www.nerys.com/naramlive/nara...day/night2.html

Resembles a two stage Nike-Ram. Looks like it has "High-D" as the proposed name on the side of the rocket.

Based on the shape and tilt of the upper part of that letter, it looks to me like the same "Q" logo that's on the fins. Thus, the name might be "High-Q"....

Later,
EV

Royatl 07-29-2008 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoVictor
Based on the shape and tilt of the upper part of that letter, it looks to me like the same "Q" logo that's on the fins. Thus, the name might be "High-Q"....

Later,
EV

You are correct, sir!

snaquin 07-29-2008 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
You are correct, sir!

Roy,

Any idea what size engine mounts that High-Q rocket had? All the displayed rockets appear to have the same size dowel so I can't really tell from the pictures.