Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   IRIS-T paint and markings info wanted (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=17158)

neil_w 03-21-2018 08:58 PM

OR = OpenRocket

blackshire 03-21-2018 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_w
OR = OpenRocket
Ah--thank you. If your conduits feel like they're adding more mass than you think your selected motors can comfortably lift, they can be hollowed out--even quite a bit--without losing enough strength to matter. Smearing white glue or yellow wood glue (or thin CA or epoxy, although they're heavier than white or yellow glue) on the insides of the carved-out voids would reinforce the conduits.

eljefe 03-21-2018 10:03 PM

Quote:
First bit of assembly is the "conduit" (or whatever) that runs along the bottom of the airframe, almost front to back.

I can't guarantee what the Germans call it, but this is usually known as the "wiring tunnel." It allows the guidance section near the front to send actuator commands to the control section at the back. Most every currently produced air-to-air missile has this feature since canard control has lost favor to tail control.

neil_w 03-22-2018 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljefe
I can't guarantee what the Germans call it, but this is usually known as the "wiring tunnel." It allows the guidance section near the front to send actuator commands to the control section at the back. Most every currently produced air-to-air missile has this feature since canard control has lost favor to tail control.

Awesome. Please hang around and correct all the other terminology butcherings that are to come. I don't know what hardly anything is called on this thing. :)

neil_w 03-22-2018 11:10 AM

"Body bands"

4 Attachment(s)
There are four "body bands" (eljefe, help me out here). They are implemented by wrapping 1/32" balsa sheet around the body. Wrapping with the grain, the balsa can easily conform to BT55 diameter without any special steps taken. Because I could only get 1/32" balsa 3" wide, I needed to use two pieces for each band.

Then, because I am insane, I papered them, using my standard Avery label paper technique.

Final picture shows confirmation that everything is in the right place by holding up a paper fin template.

ghrocketman 03-22-2018 11:14 AM

Missiles/Rockets/Bombs with blue stripes SUCK.
Inert rounds are lame even for display.

blackshire 03-22-2018 11:17 AM

Quote:
Awesome. Please hang around and correct all the other terminology butcherings that are to come. I don't know what hardly anything is called on this thing. :)
Both terms are equivalent, and are synonymous with each other, but I share your fascination with "alternate terms." Also:

Another German one is "brennschluss" ("end of burning," which refers to either the cessation of thrust itself, or to the time when this is to happen), whose English equivalent is "burnout." In his classic 1949 book, "The Conquest of Space" (illustrated by Chesley Bonestell), Willy Ley introduced "brennschluss" to the American public. He also pointed out that it is more accurate than "burnout" (which was often also used to refer to the burn-through of a rocket combustion chamber's wall [or the case wall or nozzle wall, for a solid propellant rocket], as well as the successful cessation of thrust via shutdown or consumption of all of the propellant). Whether or not "burnout" refers to a failure, or to the successful and planned cessation of thrust, is expressed and understood by connotation, depending on the circumstance, while "brennschluss" doesn't contain this ambiguity. In addition:

As well as referring to an "afterburner" (and "afterburning") as "reheat," the British often use "firing pad" instead of "launching pad," and also "blade" to refer to one fin (as in, "a three-blade fin assembly" [the way the Skylark sounding rocket's 3-fin tail assembly was described in a BAC--British Aircraft Corporation--booklet]). They also commonly refer to a "booster motor" (as for the Skua, Petrel, INTA-255 [which they built for INTA, Spain's space agency], and some Skylark variants) as a "boost motor" or just a "boost."

neil_w 03-22-2018 11:19 AM

Good stuff, thanks!

blackshire 03-22-2018 11:34 AM

Quote:
Good stuff, thanks!
You're welcome. There are others, like C-stoff and T-stoff (which referred to the Me 163 Komet rocket interceptor's fuel and oxidizer [I forget which was which])--even some postwar British hydrogen peroxide/hydrazine hydrate (or kerosene) rocket engines, which German scientists and engineers helped develop, had their propellant inlets stamped "C-stoff" and "T-stoff." Also:

I wonder what terms the Germans use for IRIS-T components such as the infrared seeker? I wouldn't be surprised if they use their words for, say, "heat eye," or "viper pit" (the U.S. Sidewinder got its name from its Sidewinder-like flight pattern [which is reminiscent of the way the Sidewinder rattlesnake moves], and from its pit viper-like infrared seeker).

blackshire 03-22-2018 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Missiles/Rockets/Bombs with blue stripes SUCK.
Inert rounds are lame even for display.
What about green bands? (The inert motors of Australian sounding rockets in museums have such bands, and other countries may also use that color coding [and those countries will probably use the IRIS-T missiles].) Also:

I once had an inert MK4 FFAR (Folding-Fin Aircraft Rocket), which was also called the Mighty Mouse. It was *all* blue.