View Single Post
Old 04-30-2018, 06:10 PM
Consigliere to Bill E.'s BP Mafia

It's close.
When I first became a BAR about 7 years ago, one of my first purchases was a Mosquito. I don't know why. Finished it in the yellow / black livery. LCO / RC Sandy loved it, so I guess I'll always have to have at least one.
That first BAR mosquito should have been lost on the first flight, having found the only patch of relatively tall grass at the NTMLF. I did know the general direction, so off I went, and somehow saw the tips of the fins sticking up. Flew that one 19 more times before losing it on the 20th.
Had another one in the bag so built it, yellow and black. Lost that one on the 9th flight.
Bought a couple more. The third survived eleven flights before successfully escaping my ownership.
Which leads me to the fourth. I still have it and it is setting comfortably after 3 launches.
I have two others: one from the 80s I found while cleaning out my Mother's house, and one unfinished in an ebay range box purchase. The ebay one had one fin attached. I finished the build and painted it like the 80s one, orange and black.
I don't know how many times I flew the one back in the 80s, but it had been flown. It's been launched and recovered four times since I found it. The ebay one once.
From left to right: 80s, #4 and ebay. Note the vintage wooden nose cones on 80s and ebay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  a 3_Mosquitos[1].jpg
Views: 30
Size:  1.18 MB  

Current project: Painting the roll pattern on my new Ventris build, gifted me by the estimable Dr. Houchin.