View Single Post
Old 02-27-2019, 09:18 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I wish they would kit that huge Saturn 1B as well as bringing back the 1/70 and 1/100 versions.
I'd like to see the K21 Gemini Titan and K41 Mercury Redstone back too.

Those would be great bring backs - however, after listening to The Rocketry Show interview with Langford and Stine from Estes, I get the feeling we’ll see scale models of current rockets sooner. They implied that bring backs aren’t as viable as models of newer prototypes - so maybe some Space X, Blue Origin, ESA, etc rockets we can build and fly? Personally I’d love an Estes Ariane 5! Or how about models of ISRO P/GSLVs? Maybe a version of Virgin Orbital’s drop launched satellite carrier?

The conversation turned to motors - specifically larger/more powerful BP motors - and one take away was “there’s more to B and C motors than what we currently make”. Will we see “full” Bs and Cs that top out at maximum power for those sizes? They didn’t say that directly but it certainly was implied. What probably won’t happen is 29mm BP Gs due to hazmat restrictions on black powder amounts and grain size limitations. But they were firm about the PSII line sticking around and expanding in the future. Not the near future but eventually. And a crack was left open for more powerful PSII motors...

They also said that the due out early this March 2019 catalog will be unlike any Estes catalogs produced in the last couple decades - much more information about how’s/whys of each rocket and rocketry in general. We’ll see - the leaked pages don’t look all that different but I’d love a return to the style catalogs of the late 60s - early 70s.