View Single Post
Old 03-13-2017, 01:50 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
Well, certainly hope you're on the mend there, Blackshire. Health issues are no fun at all...
Thank you. Hopefully--now that my lymphedema leg pump and new Juzo leg compression garments have finally arrived (months late)--it will never darken my life again! They weren't happy that I went home as soon as the intravenous antibiotics regimen was completed, but I HATE hospitals (I appreciate what their personnel do, of course). The noise, the unfamiliar surroundings, the uncomfortable bed and recliner (I can't sleep on a bed, and my recliner at home, like Baby Bear's porridge, is "just right" for me), the %^&$*@ gown that's open in back (I just went -skyclad- [nude, as the pagans call it] much of the time), the lack of privacy, and being checked on every two hours (which kept me from getting more than about 4 hours of deep, REM sleep all that week) made me hate every second of it; I was never so glad to see my humble, comfortable little apartment again!
Quote:
Not a problem. Revisionist historians or those who practice finger-wagging from the safety of time and distance (like 95% of all the "we shouldn't have dropped the bomb on Japan" types IMHO) are just a pet peeve of mine... LOL
*Nods* Even Japanese scholars concede that the hundreds of thousands of A-bomb casualties, while horrific, would have paled in scale compared with the *millions* that would have attended an allied invasion of the country. Talk host and historian Barry Farber was even told by a Japanese official he knew that the brilliant blue flashes of the atomic bomb detonations facilitated their surrender with honor. I forget the details, but there was an old legend or story in their lore that said that "further fighting was futile when they saw a blue flash in the sky," a divine sign that it made no sense to continue fighting (in some Armageddon-like future conflict mentioned in their lore, if memory serves). He told Mr. Farber that the news of the blue A-bomb flashes was a source of relief to many Japanese, because they could stop fighting the futile war without "losing face."
Quote:
Like a concentration camp survivor said in a documentary I once watched said, "We're all capable of doing THE most inhuman things in order just to live another minute..." It's human nature and it's true.
I, sadly, agree with what that concentration camp survivor said (like the humans in H. G. Wells' "War of the Worlds" who were willing to betray other humans to the Martians in exchange for being allowed to live [even just a little longer], there were Jews and other targeted minority individuals in the camps who even helped herd their fellow peoples into the death "showers" so that the Nazis would spare their lives, even only so little that they would just be the *last* ones to be killed).

I'd like to think that I would never do something like that (I'm sure we all do), but I'm sure that I wouldn't really care much if I lived afterwards, if I happened to survive: How incomparably worse than the "survivors' guilt" of military combat personnel, police officers, and firefighters (who just happen to survive deadly situations when their comrades don't, purely due to random chance) must it be to walk around knowing that one *helped* cut short others' lives, just to live a little longer oneself?
Quote:
Anyway, all the best to you and hope you're recovering well.

Later! OL J R

PS. Yes, I saw her talk about the proposed SLS "Zond 5" mission... I don't always agree with all her takes on everything, but she's interesting and easy on the eyes... LOL
Agreed, on both counts! I wouldn't at all mind being her faithful mount, and Pete would be a fine barn cat for keeping my straw bedding and hay free from mice... :-)
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR