View Single Post
Old 07-19-2018, 12:18 PM
NAR # 19250 - Life Member

Default Rustoleum Gloss Protective Enamel Spray Can Issues

So I'm having problems with Rustoleum Gloss Protective Enamel spray cans. When I had exhausted by patience with the product, I went to the Rustoleum website and filled out their product issues form. Today I got this response:

"Thank you for contacting Rust-Oleum Product Support.

We are sorry to hear of the problems that you are having with our aerosol cans.

As superior performing products, our aerosol formulas have always contained higher solid material than others in the market. Higher solids means better and faster coverage, and ultimately, better performance. Over time, these solids will start to separate from the liquid and the cans need to be shaken to get the mix into a homogenous state again. The longer it sits, the longer it may need to be agitated. Upon shaking the can to get the mixing ball dislodged, we then recommend an additional full minute of shaking to incorporate all of the material. Once mixed and the application has begun, we recommend shaking often during the application. Those solids need to be kept suspended to avoid things like clogging and sputtering.

Depending on the type of nozzle that is on the can, there are a couple of ways of keeping the can spraying properly should it need to be stored and used at a later date. The nozzle itself should be wiped clean and if it has a traditional nozzle(not a spray-anyway nozzle), the can should be turned upside down upon completion of spraying to clear out any product that may still be in the dip tube. This practice will help keep the integrity of the spray performance. However, should the can become clogged, the tip can be rinsed in mineral spirits or paint thinner to loosen any dried material that may have accumulated there. If cleaning the tip does not alleviate the clog, it may be inside the can, which will not be able to be cleared.

Per our satisfaction guarantee we would be more than happy to issue a refund for the product that you have had issues with. If you could provide us with a batch code found on the underside of the can for our records we would appreciate it. If you are not interested in a refund we are also willing to send out replacement nozzles.

We look forward to hearing back from you and resolving this issue. "

Not a bad reply, so if, like me, you're having issues, it's worth a shot to reach out to the company.

My $0.02; YMMV.
A dark night in a city that knows how to keep its secrets. But high above the quiet streets on the 12th floor of the Acme Building, one man is still trying to find the answers to life's persistent questions. Guy Noir, Private Eye.

Fox Valley Rocketeers: http://www.foxvalleyrocketeers.org