View Single Post
Old 12-27-2011, 08:04 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Paper. The vacu-formed wraps are "overscaled", if there's such a word. However, from anything farther than a few arms' lengths, they look better because you can still see the corrugations.

Yes, the Centuri wraps 'look' nice, but actually are 'overscaled' (that sounds like a fitting word....).

However, I always felt the Estes embossed wraps were a bit 'underscaled' (another new word?) because those corrugations just about disappeared at about 2 feet back, almost.

So, possibly the 'right' scale was somewhere in between. Since the Centuri Saturn V was my first (and favorite), I've always been partial to it. But, it's not dead-on accurate.

By the same token, the Centuri 1/45 Little Joe II is a GREAT looking model, but that pre-applied chrome mylar wrap is also "overscaled" or certainly "overshiny", since those real-life corrugated aluminum skin panels on the real Little Joe II were never THAT bright and shiny. But, it makes for a nice looking model, all said and done.

Back in the day, I think the Centuri Saturn V mostly got the nod as the 'best looking' scale Saturn V between the two, accurate or not.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970