Thread: Work station
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2017, 11:28 AM
Junior Rocketeer

I need to make some racks like that too. For now, most of my rockets are in a corner of the living room floor on a PVC stand/rack that I cobbled together.

When I bought my home a year and a half ago, I converted one small spare room upstairs into my hobby room. I also build and fly R/C airplanes and it was designed with that in mind. The main bench is approx. 42" off the floor, mounted to the wall, which puts it at the perfect working height for me when standing (I'm 5'- 8"). It's built in an "L", and I used the short side for cutting wood and mixing epoxy, the long side (9' wall to end) is for wings/fuselages/etc. It's also covered with 1/16" steel sheet for using magnetic building fixtures. I pulled up the carpeting and left the bare sub-floor, but painted it with a white primer as well as the walls, that way I had no worries about glue/paint drips. I also installed T8 light fixtures in kind of a square pattern around the ceiling. Those along with the white paint makes it very bright/sterile and I have very little shadow when I'm working. My only real problem is that it's a bit small, and due to the design of the house, it's pretty warm upstairs. The A/C has a hard time with that room in particular with the south facing dormer and a window on the western wall. I've got window film on both windows, but it doesn't help much. I might have to put in a window A/C unit this summer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Clear_Bench_Top.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  337.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Cluttered.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  49.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Working_Lights.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  92.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  011e78e5a7644187607404cb55d354152db231dc8c.jpg