View Single Post
Old 08-27-2011, 03:31 PM
BAR

Of course the other alternatives if using fins would be to use fins off of Saturn I or Saturn IB. The problem with that is the fact that the Saturn I-F uses only two engine fairings, but then again, maybe a combination of fins would have been used-- say 2 Saturn I Block II fins in between the fairings, and Saturn V fins on the fairings themselves... That would work. Saturn IB fins would be more difficult to integrate, being swept, and less effective due to their smaller size. Putting a pair of them between each fairing also would create some weird aero-effects as the air being diverted by the fairing would impinge on the fin and be "trapped" between the fin and fairing, so I don't think that would work at all...

Here's another view of the Saturn V fins with dimensions...

And some more information on the Saturn I Block II fins which would work well centered between the fairings with Saturn V fins ON the fairings...

And this graphic has the relevant measurements for Saturn IB, including the fin dimensions at the bottom...

Later! OL JR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  SaturnVdocFinprofileData.JPG
Views: 175
Size:  81.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  SaturnC-1S-1tailfins.JPG
Views: 151
Size:  88.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  SatIBdimensions(2).gif
Views: 182
Size:  390.0 KB