View Single Post
Old 07-15-2018, 08:22 PM
Mr. Cut-by-hand

Default Decals, part 1: color bands

The decals are taking a little while, as I try to proceed slowly and not rush. Most are routine, a few are a bit more challenging; I'll describe those as I go. This is my first time with home inkjet-printed decals; all are clear-coated with Krylon UV-resistant gloss clear.

I started with the yellow and brown bands. These were tricky because they needed to wrap all the way around the wiring tunnel, and therefore I had no way to get a very precise measurement of their length in advance. Instead I made them extra long and figured I'd cut them to fit. What I failed to consider was that the only time I could do that was after the decals were applied, while still wet. That was not fun.

I did the brown first, and eventually trimmed it so that there was only a very small overlap at the end. Because these are translucent dye-printed decals, you can see the overlaps as a darkening of the color. See picture 1.

After I saw how much I cut off the brown one, I pre-cut the yellow band to the same size, so I didn't need to trim it after application. It went on about the same as the brown, with an equal overlap area. See picture 2.

I put the seams at the edge of the wiring tunnels because I thought they'd be least visible there. Really, the bottom is not the most photogenic side of the rocket, I don't expect too many eyeballs lingering there.

Getting the bands to be perfectly straight was hard, enough so that I could only get close. It's not noticeable except under very close inspection.

All decals got generous application of Micro-sol on top. I can't tell how much it helps with the clear-coated decals, but it definitely doesn't hurt, so any advantage it can give me will be welcome. All decals will easily visible until the final matte clear coat is applied.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Decals1-1.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  308.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Decals1-2.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  423.4 KB