View Single Post
Old 06-18-2018, 12:29 AM
Master Modeler

I went flying with my son and his son for Father's Day. I flew 9 Q-Jets and of those have good AltimeterThree data for five of those flights and partial data for two more (I'm working the "why" of the partial data with Jolly Logic). Two have delays reasonably close to the marked duration (one B4-4, one B4-6). The others were close to 50% over (~6 seconds for motors marked at 4). Essentially, all the B4s performed as if they were B4-6s save one. The two A3-4s I flew also seemed long, but I don't have onboard data for those two flights.

Good stuff:

No misfires - 9 out of 9 went on the first go. I was using an Estes PSII controller with a 3s LiPoly inside for ignition.

Strong boosts as befits a motor which comes to near full thrust very quickly.

Bad stuff:

EVERY ejection charge was violent. Some were downright frightening. This led to failed shock cords, snap back damaged fins and other rocket parts (and this with nice long shock cords that are part kevlar and part an elastic element).

"Bonus" delays in most cases - often leading to deployments at high speed headed down. This along with the killer ejections led to quite a bit of damage.

Of course some fit issues as we've been discussing, though I was able to do a sufficient job with sandpaper on a 1/2 inch dowel to get a label-less Q-Jet in the Nova Payloader I wanted to when they first arrived. It is now one of the models that needs repair.

Much more when I have a chance to look at the data more closely.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE