Thread: Airbrush Tech
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2012, 08:31 PM
Aspiring computational demonologist

I just found this thread. Lots of good info and inspiration.

I've been airbrushing since last fall, and really like it. Now that it's warm again, I'm using up my store of spray cans of color coats, but once they are gone I'm going to stick to acrylics.

In case it's of interest to anyone, I tend to prime with Rustoleum auto filler primer if it's warm enough to shoot it. Then either Valspar white spray primer OR Createx's "Auto-Air" Sealer White, which does a good job.

Then I use Createx Wicked Colors line, and sometimes the Auto Air stuff too. The stock Createx didn't work so well the couple times I tried it with clearanced bottles I bought, but I love Wicked Colors and some of the Auto Air stuff. I thin by 10-15% (with the recommended reducer for the paint line) and tend to spray at either ~40 lbs CO2 with the Paasche H #5 tip, or at around 30 lbs with the #3 tip for smaller birds.

I tend to use Valspar High Gloss Clear Lacquer which can be sprayed in the cold (from a warmed can) with good results, or of course when it's warm (but not more than 60% RH or it will blush). Or I use Liquitex High Gloss Varnish from the hobby lobby artists' aisle. Or just Future. Or future with a bit of color mixed in. Sometimes I go wacky.

Anyone reading this, get an airbrush. It's fun and lets you spray in all kinds of weather with an infite range of colors and stuff.

Marc