View Single Post
Old 06-17-2018, 12:14 PM
Master Modeler

Quick update from yesterday: I flew five more Q-Jets. The A3-4s had KILLER ejection charges but otherwise worked well. Two of the B4-4s had what seemed to be overlong delays (these both from my first shipment, both dated 050118). The other B4-4 turned in a gorgeous and quite nominal-looking flight (motor dated 052918).

I had no ignition failures and no launches upon continuity testing (our well-experienced club system has incandescent indicators and does fire Q2G2s upon continuity check). I retained the igniters with a tiny piece of 1/16 inch heat shrink tubing, pressed into place with a bamboo skewer with the point clipped off, in each case.

Upon revisiting the blue motor tube....now I'm not so sure about what I posted earlier. Some Q-Jets go into the tube that I thought was undersized just fine. More care in measuring and taking notes on my part is in order.

I'm going flying with my son and grandson in a couple of hours. I will be flying a Semroc Mini Aero Dart on Q-Jets with an AltimeterThree aboard. That will let me get measurements of delay times and such - and graphs of same. I am suspicious that my first lot of "B4-4s" are really mislabeled B4-6s, especially after that fifth flight yesterday (Alpha III to 554 feet) looked entirely nominal including a deployment time consistent with a 4 second or so delay.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE