View Single Post
Old 06-08-2010, 10:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsotr
I posted a few of mine here ...

http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showt...&highlight=ljii

Attached are a couple more.

FWIW, the corrugated wrap provided with this kit is about an inch short of true scale ... I had to cut down the upper part of the LJII airframe an inch to keep the proportions correct. Naturally, I didn't figure this out until after I had the wrap installed and stood around thinking "that just doesn't look right." I should have measured it before putting it on, of course -- another lesson learned. But I'm not sure what I would have done about it other than scratch-build the corrugations, and having done the fins, tower, CM, and decals with non-kit parts I'm pretty close to a scratch-build already. Some of that is due to my own changes (as I note in the aforementioned thread I opted to model the A-001 round instead of the QTV) but Jonathan is correct: this is really a semi-scale "fly for fun" kit.

3602s ... LJII sporting a fresh coat of polished aluminum Alclad
2920s ... The LES attached to the CM
2921s ... Applying the first of the decals

Tim,

These are VERY nice and I hope mine will look even close to what you have done. Yes on the dimensions... they are a bit off. I am using Alway's rockets of the World (1st ed.) and Beech-Gassoway drawings. The Corrigation does need cuting and so does the airframe tube, but you have to cut the tube anyway to make the parts needed for the cone.

Did you go solid balsa/wood on the fins or just use the styrene? I am going basswood ... more on that later

Jonathan

P.s. Tim, I learned the hardway to NEVER trust the manufacture's dimensions when building scale! They have to cut corners due to costs and stability.

OH someone asked if my fins on my now crashed Saturn 1b (Cover of Sport Rocketry Nov/Dev 2008) were scale ... YES! Just took a lot of buckshot and clay in the nose cone! There I took a Semroc Sat 1b and cut tubes and engine skirts to match the true scale.

The Apogee is better and right on ... just $200 is steep, but very worth it! I have one and I don't think I will ever build it ... just too valuable a kit. A $50.00 Semroc 'fixer upper' is the way to go!