View Single Post
Old 12-21-2018, 12:47 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
Tim,

Did you buy the injection molded fins for your #2157? I bought a couple sets last year. I’d love to see Estes add the plastic SLA as another “replacement” part. I’d buy a few for my Saturn Vs and 1Bs.

I’m still trying to imagine if my #2001 kit will ever get opened. Maybe your plan to cluster it is a worthy consideration for mine, too. Any thought to make it a 5 motor cluster? My other consideration for some time would be to stay with the single D12 in one of my #2157s, but modify it to fly with the four outer F1s in place. Obviously the motor needs to come WAY back in the body tube, with some nose weight to fix the CG shift.

I haven't bought any fins for any of them.

I've thought about reworking the 2001 fins to make them closer to scale, but that all depends on how hard it will be to remove the shrouds. I can make clear slip-on fins like the classic 60's-70's Centuri and Estes kits pretty easily. The Centuri style would bugger up the balsa fins but would be lighter than the Estes style. Not sure what I want to do there. Leaving it stock would be the lightest option.

I'd just make a removable mount on the 2001 to leave it as light as possible and still have the option to do a 3 motor cluster. I might do a center with outboards on the 2157 or 1969 one day.