Thread: Red Arrow gone?
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2017, 05:03 PM
Incurable Model Rocketeer

Send a message via Yahoo to DeanHFox
Default Visited both...

I used to live in northwest Ohio, and I remember clearly the first time I made the drive up to Southgate to visit Commonwealth Displays...I drove right past it! What a hole in the wall from the outside, but what a rocketeer's heaven once I got inside! I bought a ton of OOP kits there in the late 80's and early 90's, until they closed up shop (or I moved away from OH to WI, can't remember which event happened first). Didn't someone try a few years ago to resurrect Commonwealth?

So far as Red Arrow was concerned, my experience was much like O L JR's...stopped there on my way from Milwaukee to Muskegon for an NAR (just a slight detour off I-94). The place was pretty much a dump (but some of the best rocket places are, so what?), and Dave was very conversational. He showed me a cast of the SHR Gemini capsule that was sitting on a countertop (but I sadly don't remember if it was the "bad" one or the planned "recast").

I remember buying a kit or two and a couple motors --- always want to support any rocket vendor I can --- and left. Never had the chance to visit again, and now, never will.
NAR #53946SR

---- "Wherever you go, there you are"