View Single Post
Old 05-30-2011, 06:39 PM
...it obstructs my view of Venus...

OK, I just re-painted with the can held about 1/2 the distance I normally use and it worked *much* better. No more dusty, powdery stuff! I think I was mis-judging the distance between the paint can nozzle and the rocket previously.

Paint problem solved by actually getting the paint onto the rocket before it dries in the air. Doh!

Thank you!

- Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharding58
The most common cause of a rough finish with rattle can spray paint is either being too far away or crazy low humidity. If the surface is well prepared and smooth (a very big if) then the issue with a spray is paint partially drying in the aerosol; small droplets dry prior to hitting the surface to be painted.

When the manufacturer provides the "hold can" distance it is usually appropriate for a well shaken/mixed product in the optimal temperature and humidity as referenced on the can. Check the painting conditions on most paints and there is a temperature range and a maximum humidity - Krylon and Rustoleum want it below 85%. If it is very, very dry then you will see little globules of paint drying on the surface as opposed to forming a paint layer.

Also make sure that the paint is really well shaken from a rattle can. As a resolution to this model try taking a 400 - 600 grit paper to the model and re-apply a coat when it is a little cooler and perhaps a little less dry.