Thread: How Qt is it?
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2011, 10:34 AM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomoriah
I do all my work these days in Python with GTK.

I just don't see the point of futzing with C++

I am guessing you do not work on something like Rocksim which is commercially delivered to run on end-user hardware?

There are tools intended to bundle up an app written in Python into a single executable, but I am not aware of anyone using it for anything commercially significant. Protection of the source code is very important in that arena and even Java is considered by some to be insecure (easy to decompile).

Many, many years ago, a friend and I were badly burnt by a brace nesting bug in C and set upon to write a joke paper along the lines of the infamous GOTO Considered Harmful piece. We outlined a programming language dubbed WYSIWYG which used indentation for denoting block structure instead of braces like C or begin/end like Pascal. We did not get it done in time for the publication deadline of the April issue of Dr Dobbs and forgot about it before the next year came. I still have it in WordStar format on a 5 1/4" floppy disk somewhere around here. We concluded that indentation was an unworkable method back then due to the numerous flame wars over hard tabs versus spaces for indentation and the advent of editors like Brief allowing the user to configure the number of columns per tab or even a totally arbitrary tab rack. But I seriously digress...

I am somewhat surprised that Python and now Spin are using indentation for that purpose.

Bill