View Single Post
Old 09-02-2005, 12:15 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
This is also a SPEV tube, IIRC...

One of the things we've pretty much concluded is, there's no easy answer. Here's an example:

In the Estes 741 parts list, the diameter for BT-52 is listed as 1.114" OD and 0.998" ID. However, BMS sells their Thor-Agena nose cone with 1.010" OD and 0.995" ID. Like the lyric in "Industrial Disease" goes, "Two men say they're Jesus... One of 'em must be wrong..."

I'm a few months late to the party, but I can say that BMS is correct. I purchased the balsa parts four years ago at NARAM 43, and purchased a BT-52 tube this year at NARAM 47. Everything fits and compares correctly to my SPEV. Essentially the whole upper portion of the SPEV kit (well, except for the BA-6070 adapter) is the Thor Agena kit. (The lower portion is essentially the tube and motor mount for the Estes Little Joe II kit. Both the LJII and Thor Agena had be out of production for two or three years, so the extra parts were made into the SPEV to be offered as a free premium kit. Hence the name, an acronym for Spare Parts Elimination Vehicle).

If I were "BMS Bill", I'd dump the parts in a bag and sell them like he does the Mars Snooper, Gyroc, and Cobra clones.

Roy
nar12605