View Single Post
Old 05-15-2013, 07:31 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag
Please report back your results! I'm always on the lookout for a better use for something.
I've exhausted the normal uses for these adhesives; I'd love to know a good alternative use other than the thrash can!

Allen
I shall do that! In addition to balsa/paper lamination tests, I also have a few odds-and-ends balsa nose cones that I'll try it on, as a wood grain filler. The owner of the local "Model's Enterprise" hobby shop didn't "sing this cements' praises" to me (because it *isn't* good at what it's intended for--bonding plastic), but he did say that other customers had found it unexpectedly useful for bonding applications in paper art (creating scenes, collages, etc.). They found that unlike white and yellow glue, the Testors non-toxic cement didn't cause wrinkles in paper media. Also:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Blackshire, BITE YOUR TONGUE ! Orange tube is PLEASANTLY aromatic, NOT UNpleasantly. Actually the Orange tube stuff only has about 1/2 the Toluene it used to. I literally squeeze the tube out into a jar and mix it with about 1/2oz of Toluene and apply it with a micro-brush for bonding plastics. It then works like the same cement from the 40's through late 80's.
Buying any size tube of the Testors blue-tube cement at ANY price is a total waste of money. If one uses the green-tube or yellow-tube wood glue as described in the directions, they will at least form a serviceable bond. The blue-tube stuff is good for nothing but maybe a campfire-starter gel.
When I was younger, none of the volatile-rich model cements that we all grew up using (Testors, Pactra, Ambroid, etc.) bothered me--not even the Testors liquid plastic cement (MEK [Methyl-Ethyl Ketone]). As I have gotten older, though, my lungs and sinuses have become sensitized to them. The scent of them doesn't bother me and never did, but the shortness of breath, tightness in the chest, and sinus irritation that they now cause are quite unpleasant. As well:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
I agree on the aroma, and the weakened state of modern orange tube stuff! Tick? What tick?
About forty years ago, one day I was trying to squeeze a "clot" of dried Testors cement (the orange-tube kind) out of the tube's neck, so that I could use the cement to build a model kit. Well, the tube gave way before the "clot" did, and all of the cement squirted onto my bare leg (I was wearing shorts at the time). Even though I wiped it off within less than thirty seconds (I went to get a paper towel), it caused the strangest tingly, firey itch, and the skin where the cement went felt hot and cold at the same time. For over twenty-five years after that, at random intervals that strange skin sensation would occur on different areas (usually a leg, an arm, or my abdomen), and I'm sure that that spill contributed to the sensitivity I have to these cements today. Glue-sniffing was in the news in those days, and that little epidermal experience was more than enough to convince me (not that I was ever inclined to do it before) to *never* try glue-sniffing.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR