View Single Post
Old 03-15-2018, 11:53 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_w
Here are some questions:

1. Would the blue IRIS-T logo be on both sides or just the one? I've never seen a picture of both sides of the same missile.
  2. Between the main fins, just in front of the aft blue stripe, there's a "WARNING" box. Anyone know what the text might be in there?
  3. Anyone have any concrete info about the various serno plates all over the missile? I have a reasonable idea about the Guidance Section plate at front (shown in some pictures); the others I'm really guessing at at the moment.
Being a European missile, it's not one I've seen up close or know much about. But the photo you ask about is just a mock-up to show off at public events, so its markings are not representative of operational missiles.

Attached is a photo that may be more realistic, if you are interested in modeling an operational version. The warnings are fairly readable.

The one around the seeker dome reads: CAUTION NO SUPPORT OR HANDLING FORWARD OF THIS LINE

The one around the rocket motor reads: WARNING ROCKET MOTOR ARMED IF INDICATOR NOT GREEN

Also as a general note on ordnance markings, the two blue stripes in your photo indicate the round is inert. Note in the picture I posted the stripe around the warhead is yellow and the one around the motor is brown. These colors indicate live ordnance. Any bomb or missile component in blue markings is for display or training but is incapable of use in combat. At least that is the convention in the West.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IRIS-T.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  314.2 KB