View Single Post
Old 07-25-2017, 09:25 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
If her numbers are true, then it seems to me to be much more of a cultural problem than any real lack of technology or capability... it's perfectly acceptable to squat just anywhere and let fly, so why go to any more difficulty than that... Just very backward to me...
Achieving cultural change is difficult, and, most importantly, requires a good education system, and I'm afraid that's lacking in many places in India (but surely improving).

Today's technology is helping a lot - the internet is nearly ubiquitous now - so changing behavior is more do-able there now than in the past. I was there for a few weeks about 9 years ago on business. I was at a hotel in Mysore (near BFE) but we had internet access One day, standing in the lobby watching American broadcasts on the TV, I had the realization that the recent improvements in wireless communications of the previous ~15 years had brought knowledge and culture to many corners of the planet that had been largely disconnected from the rest of the world. The rest of the world is catching up with us Westerners
One thing in the videos which is dead on is how the sewer systems work in India. There are troughs cast in concrete under the sidewalks, which double as the covers for the troughs. And these troughs stink. Altho that may be due to lack of rain runoff keeping them flushed as much as being due to sanitary sewage in them. But it was quite a surprise to me to see how things were done there

Doug

YORF member #11