View Single Post
Old 05-19-2010, 10:34 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacefan
Does anyone know of a quick and efficient way to build or roll your on body tubes for constructing engine mounts? I seem to recall reading or hearing somewhere that you can build an engine mount tube by rolling paper or cardboard around an engine casing (18mm, 24mm, etc. depending on what size you want). I recently bought an Estes Outlander kit and want to upgrade it from 18mm to 24mm . I've heard from other rocketeers that the Outlander is dangerously underpowered if flown in stock form on 18mm engines.

Quick and easy motor tubes (where the appearance doesn't particularly matter) I've used toilet paper tubes... put a vertical line axially down the tube with the angle or doorjamb method, carefully cut along the line (scissors are fine) then wrap it around an engine til it overlaps tightly, draw a line down the cut edge to mark the overlap, cut along the line to cut the overlap off, then using white glue, glue the overlap piece to the edge of the tube with half the overlap piece sticking out over the edge, let it dry fairly good (not all the way is best, though) then put some glue on the other edge and glue the other half of the overlap to that edge, forming a tube with a butt joint underneath the overlap, which strengthens the joint...

Same basic method some folks use to reduce a tube diameter by cutting a strip out of the tube, but the overlapping 'glue tab' part goes to the outside.

Works like a champ, it's quick, easy, and they're just as strong or stronger than regular motor tubing...

If you want quick and easy (if a bit more expensive) just use some BT-50; Semroc sells them for a couple bucks per 18-24 inch tube, or most local hobby shops that sell Estes rocket stuff usually have SOME of the parts collections on the shelf (bagged tubes, nosecones, engine mounts, launch lugs, parachutes, etc.) The tubes and nosecones usually aren't too bad a buy-- stay away from the launch lugs, motor mount kits, and parachutes-- they're usually GROSSLY OVERPRICED in the hobby shops!

Look at Hobby Lobby in the clearance aisle for cheapy/dinged BT-50 rocket kits for parts, too... usually a fairly good deal...

Later! OL JR