Thread: rocket names
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2009, 04:51 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofSteele
Getting a kit name is one of the hardest parts of designing and releasing a new kit. Indeed, the "7" in Rattler-7 was because it was the seventh name we tried for the model. Names generate quite a bit of debate in the overall marketing process.

At one point, we wanted to use the name 'Screamin Demon" for an Estes kit that was intended for Wal-Mart. After the big mess with the supposedly "satanic" symbols on Proctor and Gamble goods, Dennis Poole said Wal-Mart would not accept products with demonic names, so we didn't use the name. (Didn't produce the kit either - a Jurrasic Park tie-in with 2 dinosaur gliders, similar to the ARV Condor)

For those of you playing the game at home, you will notice that the name "Screamin Demon" did later show up one of my kit designs that made it to the non-Wal-Mart market.

I have a huge file of names that I started keeping during the North Coast Rocketry days. I usually keep adding to it as I run across interesting names.

You might know that I am still adding to the list....

Matt

Hey Matt, good to see you here again, hope that you join us more often . Have a great day....