Thread: ABS epoxy?
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2016, 05:58 AM
Almost shovel ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
Is the Oatey plumbing cement that you used a two-part epoxy? The ones I've found online--and Oatey makes several interesting varieties that may be excellent for building rockets--are "unitary" cements that come in metal cans (see: https://www.google.com/#q=Oatey%27s+plumbing+cement ). Their PVC pipe glue, I'm guessing, cures to a hard rubber-like consistency, which would be ideal for rocket kit applications (one doesn't want a cement that's either brittle-rigid or like soft rubber, but instead one that's rigid with just a little "give," to handle in-flight vibration and landing impacts). Also:

The LOCTITE Epoxy Plastic Bonder, like the Oatey PVC pipe cement, also welds the two parts together, and it's also slightly flexible so that it "gives" a little with the parts (the typical gluing application shown on its blister card is the mending of a plastic deck, patio, or lawn chair). It contains methyl methacrylate. LOCTITE's 60 minute Extra Time epoxy contains polyamide, amorphous silica, and amine curing agents, and their 5 minute General Purpose epoxy contains polymer captan and amine curing agents, and both the 60 minute and 5 minute ones are not recommended for gluing flexible materials.

No, it's just a standard plumbing cement used for ABS, PVC and similar plastics. It is a transparent, viscous liquid that dissolves and welds the parts together rather than forming an adhesive bond. It is best used with a purple pipe cleaner, though I suppose the mating surfaces could be cleaned using acetone. When I get a chance I'll check my stash and see if I can find the containers.