Thread: Mig 21 RC RG
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2017, 12:48 AM
Craftsman

Default Mace Missile, sort of...

Here she is, sort of a Mace Missile Body, Wings and Vertical stab, with some added horizontaol stabs added for roll/pitch control that are stolen from my ALCM, design, will do the markings like the Estes Menace/ALCM with shark teeth and red strips/cg marking, I'm waiting for decals to arrive from stickershock to finish it, flew really nicely as well...also a 2.6" tube design..

The original Mace used spoilers for roll control, and I was worried about strip ailerons robbing too much lift from the wing, and the T-tail on the original is pretty small for sufficient pitch control for the cg shift, and I was worried about stiffness and tail weight if I went with the movable T tail....so I made the T tail smaller and went with the horizontal surface addition...it's a mutant, but has the look I wanted. It's just under 12 oz rtf.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9NN00HFAFs

Here is the Mace like model finished with stickershock vinyl. I simulated the boat tail with some black vinyl trim on the bottom and also the jet intake on the bottom as well. On the later mace missles they had a dog-house that was on top of the boat tail that stiffened the rear of the missile, so only the bottom half was boat tailed anyway.

I'm doing another one with a modified vertical stab with an inlet to make it look more like an ALCM and I moved the wing back an inch which should get rid of any required nose weight and get close to 11 oz rtf.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  WP_20170121_15_55_18_Pro.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  404.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  WP_20170121_15_53_06_Pro.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  349.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  WP_20170121_15_54_00_Pro.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  341.4 KB