View Single Post
Old 02-24-2009, 10:57 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone
I've had a shroud line hang but it really didn't affect the recovery any....just wasn't as pretty as it could have been......lol

Actually, I've never had any problem with the "safety pin" style.....but I usually use them on my smaller rockets that really don't experience much of a deployment velocity.......or they use streamers......

You've had some luck then... ever get a bonus delay though with plain 'brass barrel' swivels without the locks and you're probably screwed... at least I was...

I used the old 'no-lock style snap swivels years ago a had a couple fail... they only have to 'stretch' a fraction of an inch for the end to pop out of the 'safety pin' clip, and when the end springs open, usually there's stilll enough deployment force to spring it open the rest of the way and turn the shock cord or nosecone loose, and BOOM instant seperation...

The lock type swivels can absorb that fraction of an inch of 'springing' and the lock merely slides up the wire a bit and usually springs back. I've NEVER had one of the locking type fail. Our local W/M has about 50/50 locking/nonlocking types... OL JR