View Single Post
Old 04-18-2016, 10:27 PM
BAR

Well, if one is foolish enough to try and launch with silly "AA" battery launch controllers on a snowy day one deserves whatever they get IMHO...

There are FAR better battery choices that will operate model rocket ignitors perfectly well in conditions too cold to fly in for a sustained period. One need not resort to fuse ignition because stupid "AA" batteries are an extremely poor choice for the job.

As for the other uses, I don't have a problem with that, but in some cases the MRSC does, and ultimately, if you're flying outside the dictates of the MRSC, and if something happens that results in injury or property damage, that is grounds for denying the claim and refusing any insurance payouts by the company, leaving it all ultimately on the flyer himself to bear the burden of liability.

I know, as a landowner, that if something happened due to another's stupidity or lack of sense or good judgment, *I* would be PO'd and *we* would have a problem that they would have to make right. As a landowner, knowing the MRSC and the provisions of the insurance that state that flight activities MUST be conducted within the MRSC to be covered by the insurance, I would not be particularly amenable to simply "doing away with it" whenever someone got a wild hair to fly something not in accordance with the MRSC which would void the insurance on that flight. Not saying *I* would categorically refuse, but they'd "have to convince me" that it was safe and an acceptable risk.

Some landowners probably would not be so amenable, and *if* something happened, and the insurance didn't cover it, the club would probably be looking for a new field-- it's happened before and it'll surely happen again at some point, but there needs to be some serious consideration of the risk/reward ratio.

Something to keep in mind.

Later! OL J R : )