View Single Post
Old 12-18-2013, 06:17 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuggles
There was a rocket sled test of the Gemini ejection systems done at Edwards, I believe.
One test had the sequencing off a ..... bit.... The mannequins(crash test dummies) came plowing THROUGH the closed hatches .(,my keyboard sticks on the exclamation sign).
I'd really like to find footage of this. There has to be some out there on the Interlink.
FWIW most ejection seats are able to punch through a canopy if it doesn't jettison. There are canopy breakers mounted just above the headrests. Having worked on them in the USAF. I can tell you that an ejection is no picnic. But, it does give you a chance to survive.
Mark T

Yes, I recall comments about this test in one of the astro's autobiographies......several of the astronauts were on hand to witness the test and they were NOT impressed to say the least. As mentioned by others above, I don't think any of them would have tried to use the ejection seats unless there were ABSOLUTELY no alternative. I seem to recall a comment from Deke that, in hindsight, the ejection seats were a dumb choice over an escape tower.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970