Thread: ABS epoxy?
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2016, 11:18 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
Hello All,

SpaceX's Falcon 9 and Fairing model rocket kit has numerous ABS plastic parts, as well as clear polycarbonate fins. The kit instructions say to use 5-minute epoxy (drawings of the dual-syringe type of packaging are shown) for ABS-to-ABS, ABS-to-paper, and ABS-to-polycarbonate glue joints. I haven't used much epoxy for building rockets, and I've read (in G. Harry Stine's "Handbook of Model Rocketry") that epoxies with longer curing times are stronger than 5-minute epoxies (plus, the longer "pot life" epoxies allow more time for joining and aligning parts). Is this the case? Also:

The reason why I ask is because LOCTITE, who make several different epoxies (see: http://www.loctiteproducts.com/epoxies.shtm ), make a 20-minute epoxy (see: http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/13...stic-Bonder.htm ) that's formulated specifically for bonding ABS, polycarbonate, and other plastics (it bonds PVC, polycarbonate, acrylic, ABS, FRP, Nylon™, Mylar™, Delrin, and phenolic, as well as aluminum and stainless steel). I've used their 5-minute epoxy for non-rocketry work, and their 20-minute Epoxy Plastic Bonder sounds like a good one for building the Falcon 9 kit (plus, it's readily available locally).

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

Yeah, the longer the cure time the stronger the epoxy-- the stuff you mentioned should work well...

Remember that the kit instructions are written "dumbed down" for the standard "instant gratification- everybody gets a trophy" types that can't be bothered with stuff that is "too hard"... for the more advanced hobbyist that "has read chapter 2" you can use better materials, techniques, etc...

Later! OL J R