Thread: ABS epoxy?
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2016, 09:06 AM
Almost shovel ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
I am interested in trying the Loctite epoxy mentioned. It has a pretty diverse list of materials which it supposedly works with. The other option is to just try to Oatey's plumber's cement that is recommended for ABS.

Oatey's has a plumbing cement that has been formulated to work with ABS (and other plastics). I needed to make some repairs to both an Estes Nike Smoke and and Estes D-Region rockets that I acquired from a fellow who bailed out of the hobby. While his builds were very nice to look at he apparently used Testors plastic cement per the instructions (and very little at that), which resulted in fins that detached in flight or upon touchdown. After reading about bond failures with cements and epoxies, I tried the Oatey's cement which "welded" the parts together. It is messy to work with when used for model rockets so I used pipe cleaners dipped into the container to apply it. So far, so good.

Trimming all plastic parts of "flash" and pre-fitting parts is also helpful with these plastic components.