View Single Post
Old 04-30-2014, 07:05 PM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

I'll post my list later - there aren't as may good deals as there used to be, but I still keep looking.

S
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
I picked up another lot of birds tonight, which got me thinking about how many I have in my flying circus. Instead of driving myself crazy trying to do it in my head, I let the voices argue among themselves and checked my Rocket Reviews list. This is what I came up with.

Quest - Area 51 Saucer This was an afterthought that turned out to be the deal of the lot. Everything else in the box was junk, but this one just needed a little spit, polish, and super glue. 3 flights to date.

MPC - Zenith 2 Payloader Unflown as of this date. Not sure if the booster is too tight to properly separate.

FSI - Dart Came unknowingly loaded with an FSI A4-4. I just need to get the nerve up to fly it this year.

Estes - X-16 On the way.......

Estes - Voyager II Pretty badly beaten, and I initially figured I'd build a clone around the original nose cone, but it turned out to be restorable and has logged several flights. Still not painted. 3 flights to date.

Estes - V-2 Badly built old K-series V-2. It's flown, but the fins were cut improperly, and every landing means another break. 1 flight to date.

Estes - Star Wars X-Wing Fighter Bought from the estate of a New York high school teacher. Missing a "pincher". Flown at NARAM 55. 1 flight to date.

Estes - Star Wars R2D2 Still needs some work, but should fly this summer.

Estes - Star Trek Came with a launcher and everything. Ugly, but carries itself with vintage cool. 1 flight to date.

Estes - Star Blazer My first Ebay rescue. 6 flights to date, the last coming 11 years ago.

Estes - Sky-Hi Sadly too far gone to save, but the nose cone lives on.

Estes - Screamer Poorly built Screamer that came with the Apogee Whiz, but it came with an unused decal. Unflown at the moment.

Estes - Satellite Interceptor Really rough when it arrived, but I did a lot of work and got it looking pretty decent, then printed off some decals for it. 4 flights to date.

Estes - Sandhawk Made the bid and had no expectations of winning the auction, but I was the only bidder. Broken fin repaired and flew it at NARAM 55. 1 flight to date.

Estes - Raven This kit was sold as "started, but complete and in good condition". It turned out to be two rockets, both mutilated. Eventually became an Estes National Aerospace Plane after I rebuilt the STEPPED ON nose cone. No idea what the second rocket was.

Estes - Mini Shuttle On the way......

Estes - Mini Bomarc Brittle old wreck that looks like it was painted with nail polish. 2 flights to date. Retired.

Estes - Micron Nicely done. Great patina. 1 flight to date.

Estes - Honest John A nicely done vintage kit, but fins are wiggly from repeated landings that turned the body tube to an almost cloth-like consistency. One flight to date.

Estes - Galactic Taxi On the way.....

Estes - E.A.C. Viper Broke a fin in a past life. Rebuilt as a three fin bird in that life. UGLY! 5 flights to date.

Estes - Challenger-1 Badly abused bird that fell apart when I pulled the nose cone out. This was a good thing because it meant I could replace the typing paper original body tube. 1 flight to date.

Estes - Bullpup 12D On the way......

Estes - Beta A hot pink mess that came with the equally ugly Shrike. I'd still like to fly it as a two stager. 1 flight to date.

Estes - Astron Shrike Ugliest Shrike in existence. Looks like the kid painted it with whatever he found in the garage. 1 flight to date.

Estes - Astron Apogee Whiz Another afterthought that I eventually decided I had to repair and fly. The nose cone had been lost and replaced with a balsa sculpture which was lost on the first flight. 1 flight to date.

Ebay - Flying Turd The one that started it all. Bought back when the ability of Ebay to show photographs was in its infancy. It was listed as an Estes Wildfire, so I bought it to cannibalize the cone for a Satellite Interceptor clone. When it arrived it was a BT-55 upscale, badly built with epoxy and ugly as sin. Wound up redeeming itself by being a stellar performer at B6-4 Field. 10 flights to date.

CMR - Effy This one took some detective work to find out just what it was. Featherweight and screams off the pad. 1 flight to date.

Centuri Engineering Co. - Screaming Eagle Liked this one so much I did it twice. The first one was a starter kit from Australia, complete with launcher and a broken fin. Flew it once. The second was perfect with just the right amount of patina. 4 flights to date.

Centuri Engineering Co. - S.S.V. Scorpion This one was a heartbreaker. It was so badly beaten when I got it that I shored it up as best I could and flew it once. Cannibalized for parts. 1 flight to date.

Centuri Engineering Co. - Mach 10 I was thrilled to land this one, but the flights are disappointing when compared to my clones. 2 flights to date. Retired.

Centuri Engineering Co. - Jayhawk Rough old original. Flown once and retired. 1 flight to date. Retired.
SAM #0031