Thread: Paper wrap-ons
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2011, 09:07 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Understanding I am a “rookie” model builder, the principle remains the same. I have had experience in using 3M 77 for woodworking projects, such as paper to paper, paper to foam, paper to plastic, etc. I have had great experience with 3M 77 lasting well over 20 years and counting with no issues. I learned of its usage professionally, and use it for various projects now. If done properly, it will not fail…

The key to using this adhesive is hitting both surfaces, with an even coat; waiting about a minute as to get tacky and place it on the surface end to end as similar to what was described earlier. It does not need to be thick and you should not see any uniformity or buildup. Too much will cause failure, not to mention an imperfect surface for painting, lacquering, etc.

So, the only catch in rocket building is you have to tape/protect the model. If thought is given to an easy removal of the protective paper, it should be quick and easy to remove, then allowing you to place the lamination without getting trapped in the sticky mess spray adhesive will cause.

Also, contact cement can work as well.