View Single Post
Old 11-04-2018, 06:28 PM
Dazed and Confused

I like using lacquers, but that limits me to red, black and white by Valspar and Rustoleum. I used to occasionally use Testor's lacquer but that's become too expensive. I have to watch the humidity with any lacquer, but it dries fast and lets me move on to the next step much quicker. When painting other colors, I use whatever I can find, whether its my stash of old formula Krylon, or various enamel brands, mostly Valspar and Rustoleum.

I only use lacquer primers. I normally use Plasti-kote or Duplicolor, whichever is available at the time. Duplicoler is higher in solids, so it fills better, but it dries slower. One day when Kalifornia and the EPA make them out of reach, I'll probably start buying automotive lacquer primer and airbrush it.

I do airbrush on occasion when I can't find a matching rattle can, or only need a tiny amount of an odd color. I normally use cheap Walmart 99 cent acrylics and custom mix them if I need something odd. I always filter the cheap paints because what I've used has had some lumps or impurities of some sort. YMMV.