View Single Post
Old 03-15-2018, 08:57 PM
Mr. Cut-by-hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
It includes a video that shows--and well--the cylindrical infrared seeker moving (scanning) inside the transparent..."lidome?" (the optical equivalent of a radome, transparent to infrared--and also visible--light) nose cap.

Figuring out how to model that is taking an inordinate amount of my time. At my scale (BT55) nothing will move, but I'm going to take my best shot at making it look reasonable.

Quote:
A surface-launched, radar-guided IRIS-T variant, with a sub-caliber ogive/cylinder/transition forward section (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IRIS-T...IRIS-T_SL-2.jpg ), is also being developed. It comes in two versions, the IRIS-T SLS (short-range) and the IRIS-T SLM (medium-range).

The SL version is pretty spiffy too, I thought a bit about choosing it instead of the regular air-to-air version, but ultimately trying to do something with the nose seemed like fun. On the other hand, the SL would look more "realistic" launching vertically.

I'll leave it to someone else to model the SL, based on the way things are going so far one of these is going to be more than enough for me.