View Single Post
Old 08-11-2019, 09:25 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by metlfreak
I was thinking about building an Aerotch Initiator but instead of using the 29mm motor mount I want to use a 18mm 4x cluster motor mount and use 4 Q-jet engines which I think would be pretty neat. My question is though would I need to add weight to the nose for this or would it be stable enough without? The rocket can hold up to a G motor without mods and is pretty heavy built standard.
Ideally, to keep the fin-lok units, a 4 engine cluster, one central 24/29, with 18mm mounts between the 3 fins would be great. A quick calculation shows this probably wouldn't work - CRs are 2.558" with a 1.210" hole, leaving just 17mm. So the central tube would need to be 24mm, and fin-lok units couldn't be used. Still, though, the fins could be nestled between the 18mm tubes, making for a fairly solid attachment with some creative assembly.

An easier route would be 3x24mm, ASP makes plywood cluster centering rings that should fit. That gives you options from 3xC11 to 3xE12, or even 3xE28/E30. The fins should nestle between the 24mm tubes, with some trimming.
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org