View Single Post
Old 01-18-2014, 12:24 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

John, Bill, Steve, et al.

Thanks so much for your info on this subject. I have loved these towers since the first time I saw one, back about 1958 or so. I finally got one from an old hobby shop in Colorado Springs that was going out of business, but it was already assembled and there were no instructions. I have always wondered what they were like.

The scans of the instructions in the post John refers to above are just what I was looking for. (Just wish they were a bit larger so I could read them better with these old eyes.)

Bill, did you ever consider issuing a modern "clone" of these towers? There is absolutely nothing like them on the market that I know of. I bet there are still a few of us from "the Sputnik generation" that would love to get one, as well as some of the "youngsters" here who missed out on them the first time. Shipping would be prohibitive for steel towers, but perhaps a clone could be made of Aluminum instead? That would also keep re-issue towers from being confused with the old MMI originals. It would be just the thing to go with thos "aniversary re-issues Aerobee kits from a while back. Just a thought.

Just one more note for anyone interested in towers. On the "Peak City" site with the tribute to William Roe, there is a newspaper clipping showing the adjustable towers that we had at the Peak City range. They were used for everyday use at the range, and were also used for a couple of the early NARAMS. These towers were hand fabricated in the Palmer High School metal shop. I have often wondered whatever happened to these when Peak City went dormant. Bill, do you happen to know what happened to them?

Anyway, I continue to be amazed by this forum, by the depth and bredth of knowlege of the members, and above all, by your willingness to share what you know with the rest of us. From MMI towers to crayon sharpeners, to old Popular Mechanics articles, it is incredible to see some of the old material re-appearing on the forum. Thank you all!

The Fireman

Mitch Meigs,
formerly NAR 2217,
Peak City section *2