View Single Post
Old 12-07-2018, 10:57 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew
TRF has always had issues of some sort, but since the current owners took over from troj... ugh. The organised begging is over the top. As I'm sure Scott can attest - yes, there's costs involved in keeping a site maintained and available. It isn't so ridiculously over the top to warrant the level of begging that TRF does. What they do is "monetising" - making a living from the gullible that think they are "keeping TRF alive". Heck, even a couple of the vendors defend their right to have to pay $25/m to post an occasional for sale advert in that ghost town.

FWIW, I asked Angie to let Austen know that if the site was so much of a burden to keep on the 'net I would buy it. They deleted the post.

Seriously, if Wildman created a forum on his site and had Crazy Jim post all his builds there, TRF would be dead in 3 months.

Yeah, it's not surprising... can't recall whom but someone really cringed and let the cat out of the bag when they found out who "Troj" sold it to... a bunch of "web developers" (advertising shills looking for a quick easy buck). I wish I could remember who it was that basically had their number from day one-- they mentioned they had been part of a metal detecting or mineral hound forum that the same group of A-holes bought and they basically destroyed the place. Started out "nothing will change" and then before long just NUKED the place with ads, just swamped it, then started offering "paid memberships" to eliminate *some* of the ads down to a manageable level... Sound familiar?? This is EXACTLY what they did on the Terribly Run Forum... And of course laying claim to *anything* that anybody had EVER posted on the forum then became *their personal property* and so all the really creative people and most of the vendors left... then of course they also started strongarming the vendors, basically robbing them, just for "rights to post" on their stink pot of a forum while never even holding up their end of the agreement-- just a continual shakedown.

The owners were lying scumbags anyway-- they said REPEATEDLY they weren't gonna do *any* of that stuff, yet that's EXACTLY what they did, just "one drop at a time" so nobody would notice (people have a notoriously short memory about such things). That coupled with the usual layer of crap from moderators and a few individuals over there and crybabies who ran around looking for trouble, that just finally was the last straw, and I dumped the Terribly Run Forum in the crapper where it belongs.

It's just a darn shame that the former owner, "Troj" was SO selfish that he took a bigger payday when he cashed out rather than selling it for less to an actual "dedicated rocket hobbyist" who would run the forum BY AND FOR the rocketry community. Instead he sold it to a bunch of snake oil salesmen who've turned it into a TBN telethon to line their own pockets...

Truly sickening...

Later! OL J R