View Single Post
Old 08-31-2018, 12:20 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by csaduck
I emailed Estes a detailed summation as to what had happened. Included several photo's of the engine nozzle being cracked and partially blown out, the burnt rocket and of course a photo of the blown apart pieces on the launchpad.
After 3 days, got no response, so I called today. They are sending me replacement pack of engines, and a new rocket ! Also reminded me to store all engines in closed moisture resistant containers out of extreme temperatures. I mentioned I had been storing them in metal US Army Ammo cans and she said that would be perfect, and store in a cool dry place.
She had no info as to a production problem or quality problem, so I guess just a bad engine.

You have to hand it to Estes' customer service. Name one other vendor who would do a warranty replacement on a product which was 26 years old at the time of failure! That date code is from 1992.

Which leads to - do you know the entire 26-year history of that motor and how it was stored?

Oooops - I see Lee beat me to it. Sorry for the department of redundancy department....

And to answer your original question about "anyone else" - I have had one C6-5 fail. It was a more "normal" blow-the-nozzle-out kind of CATO....and yes Estes replaced both the motors and the model.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_4420.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  681.5 KB  
AMA 42160
KG7AIE